• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Sibelius Help

Need Sibelius Help

Hello All,

I have another Sibelius question. And this is driving me crazy.

To date I've only been working on 1line per instrument parts but I started a new piece today that has two instruments per staff (2flutes,2clar,etc).

I key in all the notes by hand for the first part (say 1st flute) but when I go back to do the second part, it doesn't add the note to the staff, it replaces the first note. But then sometimes I end up with the two notes on top of each other like I want.

I can't figure out what I'm doing (or not doing).

From this terrible example I've given (sorry, couldn't think of a better way to word it), is there anyone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

edit: Figured it out

Lesson learned: If all else fails, post about it and suddenly the answer will reveal itself.

JP Garbarini

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Re: Need Sibelius Help

Anyone have the ASCII picture of the guy looking down with his hand on his head?

Well uh duh.... "Voices" ...

(lightbulb on) ... So that's what those numbers do! lol

Why are the easy problems always the hard ones... errr... yeah
    JP Garbarini

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Hi JPGIII,

I just checked this out by opening a woodwind score in Sibelius 4 that uses the new GPO set up.

It seems to me that what you could be doing is not inputting the second part using the second voice option on the keypad.

How I do it is this:
    1. get the keypad up on the screen.

2. Enter the notes you want for the first flute part. I would do the high flute part first. By default, it is usually the first voice on the keypad that is entered - you can see which voice you are entering on the staff as on the bottom of the keypad you have the voices,1,2,3,4, all written on the bottom of the keypad. So if you are inputting voice one notes on the staff, the number one, which will be highlighted in blue on the bottom of the keypad, will light up with the blue colour. As you input voice no 1, the notes will be a blue colour on the staff, and then after the next note is inputted, the note colour of the note you had just inputted, goes back to being the normal black colour.

3. When you are finished with your first flute part, go back to where you want to start entering the second flute part. On the keypad, click on the bottom voice number two, which will immediately light up in a green colour.

4. Start inputting notes at the position in the bar you want for the second lower flute part. The colour of the note when you first input it will be green, but will go back to the normal black colour, after you input the next voice 2 note. This is just as it was for the voice 1, but a different colour this time.

5. If you want to input even another 3rd part, just do the same steps, but click on the voice 3 button at the bottom of the keypad, which will imput the voices firstly in an orange colour, the 4th voice inputs them in a purple colour.

I hope this helps.

Steve Martin

Thanks Steve

That was indeed the problem.
    JP Garbarini

Besides using voices, it is also possible to create multi-note parts in the same voice. This is called a chord. To add a second or third note to a chord in the same voice, select an existing note at the time location you want the new note and option click the note pitch. This will do a copy of the first note at the new note pitch.

Just creating a new note at a time location of an existing note will replace that note not add to it.

Probably the reason it worked sometimes when you did it as described above is that when you enter a note it remains selected until you move to a new time location and you can continue to add notes to a chord when in this mode. Once you've "left" this chord (e.g., moved to a new time location), then you first need to reselect it to add a note to that chord.

If you want to add notes within the same time structure, (i.e. Crotchet for crotchet, or chords as has been mentioned) then click on the note already in place to turn it 'blue', and simply press the new notes you want on your keyboard. The new notes will replace the old one. If you use the direction arrows, (press the right arrow to move to the next note, press the left arrow to go to the previous note, etc....) you can replace single notes with chords for as many notes as you like. This is useful if you orchestrate straight to Sibelius, instead of writing a score first, and want to build up the aural picture gradually. (I write on parchment first, and simply input the results into Sibelius, but on occasion i've written straight to Sibelius to try a phrase or orchestration)

If your second line in a stave is different to the first, then the comments about voices (Blue, then green, etc...) are valid, and importantly, quick.

It's also worth practising using the numeric keypad, as this method of input can be pretty quick, once you're used to it, and is particularly useful when you want to write a complicated sequence, or phrase that has notes too quick to play naturally (i.e. String section Demisemiquavers.)
    If you press a quaver on the keypad, then start input notes one at a time from your keyboard (music not qwerty), then as long as you just keep pressing notes, Sibelius 'knows' to keep using quavers, until you make a change on the keypad.

Good Luck,

Hi JPGIII,

I'm glad the information was helpful.

Go Back to forum