• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Composing with Video

Share/Bookmark

Question Composing with Video

Hi,
    I use to have problems when I open a big video file in Cubase. Is there any other way to compose a track with a video file? Is possible to sync with another pc?
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Re: Composing with Video

My approach: I create a small sized copy (say 262 x 192) of the clip that I will use in my DAW (Logic 5.5) along with the music. At his moment I also add visual timecodes.

Interesting detail: to avoid CPU drain due to decompression, I create an uncompressed copy (= huge file!).

Vegas is my favorite tool for creating copies like this AND for merging the music mix back with the original clip.

Cheers,

Thanks Peter.
    I will try to use an uncompressed copy, but I think that the problem is again RAM. Sometimes I have to close the cubase project and reopen it again for loading more samples in GS3. I thought that with 3gb of Ram, this problem could be resolved, but not, just the same.
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Things will slow to a crawl if you use the video thumbnail. Disable this for better response.

Hi.
    Last day I used a 190 Mb 320x260 res. I always disable thumbnails, but with big GS3 projects I have some problems...

Thanks
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have the luck of using separate sampler PC's. My DAW only runs the sequencer with a lot of plugins. 756 Mb RAM and have never experienced memory drain with video. GigaStudio is of course quite aggresive with its memory use (it locks all its prefetch buffers which effectively is a way of undermining Windows' memory management system, that relies on moving and paging out memory blocks). If you can afford it, using separate PC's for the sound generation is the best way to give breathing room to your sequencer.

Thank you Peter I have in mind to buy another PC to work without problems, probably soon (I hope). Today I have loaded a 3Mb video and two audio tracks and the system started to work slow and with graphic problems !!!!!

I think that something happens with the video card. I don't know...perhaps the PC is stressed like I
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Have a look at this.

D

Thanks Daryl. When I come back on monday I will try it. It is good for you?
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Try to take a look on the device setting of video. Try different playback method (usually one of the most effective codec with mpeg or indeo 5.1 in very small resolution, e.g. 150*128, take a "video for windows" is better. But actually situation depends on your computer config. So play around with these setting first)

Ensure a smaller video window size, but say if your video is very big in resolution, take a tiny size will have too many additional pixel intepolations. So keep the original import file a smaller resolution. I use a very small resolution like 150x128 or 200x160, keeping the file size much smaller than original and freeing more ram to be used by other audio operations.

Most people may not notice, if people give you a full final video, say with half to an hour or more in length, it is better to crop the segment you need to work on, then export a small size video clip for importing. Most of the time you don't need to fill all your music and SFX in every second of the movie. Load the full length of original clip is just a waste of computer resource.

For VGA card, my friend use an onboard display card setting, which seems to be very easy to cause problem with the video playback in these situation. If you think it is your case, try the following: I use Quadro card so there is no such video playback problem, running very smoothly. You may not need to get such high quality display card, a better GF or ATI (Radeon) card with affordable price should do the job very well. If directshow video is choosen as playback method, it cause more problem if using onboard display and low-quality VGA card. So try to choose the other two playback methods.

a 4:3 aspect ratio of a video works better for most codecs with least computation cost. Even if your video is not at this ratio, try to "convert" it. I usually pick Indeo, if avi format is needed, for inserting into Cubase or Nuendo. Mpeg is ok, and quick time usually work not too good in my machine. Again, depends on your computer config. For PC, go windows format is better.

Cheers,

Go Back to forum