• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Microsoft Unveils Vista Upgrade Matrix

Share/Bookmark

Microsoft Unveils Vista Upgrade Matrix

Microsoft has already announced that the new Vista operating system will come in as many as six different versions. Not sure which version of Windows can be upgraded to which version of Vista?

Microsoft has laid it all out in an easy-to-understand four by six matrix.

Re: Microsoft Unveils Vista Upgrade Matrix

Oh Good Grief!
    (with apologies to that funny round headed kid!)

Well, in the studio my primary DAW runs XP, but the GigaStudio machine and the office machine are still running Win2K (which is why I haven't yet upgraded GigaStudio!)

The main machine was upgraded from Win2K at the behest of Sonar5... I wasn't really planning on the OS upgrade!

The laptop has XP-Pro on it, but only because I do some IT consulting, and I need to be able to connect to other folks domains from time to time. That, and it came pre-installed<G>!

I imagine it will be some time before I upgrade any of my machines to Vista. I understand that they are hoping to provide a cleaner interface to audio routines, and from those routines to the hardware, but I'll believe it when I see it!

In general, I upgrade operating environments when a tool I depend on puts a gut to my head<G>!

Even with the matrix I can't imagine doing an upgrade. I've tried that approach once or twice over the years, and every time I've gotten better results (fewer problems) by just flattening and installing from scratch.

Bill

Pretty cool matrix, Gary. I have no idea what any of it means. I have XP pro.

???
    David

Or you can just get an Apple Macintosh with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (which will probably be released before Microsoft Vista).

Now if we could just get Native Instruments to finish porting everything to universal binary...

So, does this mean I have to put very dark sunglasses, a long black trench coat, spray paint my PC black, get it to bend 90 degrees backwards and fight Macs in slow motion stop action virtual cyberpunk space millennium matrix?
    Styxx

Did Microsoft seriously name the pinnacle system "Vista: Ultimate Edition"?

That seems a little dweeby...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams
    Or you can just get an Apple Macintosh with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (which will probably be released before Microsoft Vista).

Now if we could just get Native Instruments to finish porting everything to universal binary...
    But there probably won't be time for Microsoft to copy any of the Leopard features.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams
    It's not a race. Though if it was, you'd be losing. While you wait for everyone to conform to your needs, we're getting on with our work.

R.

Another vote for Mac OSX! I have been on smooth running since it came out! Wish I could say the same for my PC, maybe Vista will change all that?

Peace

rikp

Or another vote for staying on XP: you don't *have* to upgrade.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum