• Register
  • Help

Topic: WMP composition finalist - performances TBA

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up WMP composition finalist - performances TBA

I just got the phone call from a representative of the Washington Metropolitan Philharmonic. My orchestral suite Five Unlikely Visions (Thread and downloads here) has been selected as one of three finalists in the WMP 2006-07 Composition Competition. Each of the three finalists will have two concerts featuring performances of their entries, and at the end of the season, they will pick one as the winning piece. The winning composer will then have three other orchestral works performed over the next two seasons.

I don't know which concerts will have my piece yet, so it may be in October, February, or June. There will be one performance in Alexandria, VA and another in Washington DC.

Unfortunately, due to time restrictions on the entry, they will only be playing four of the five movements (movement III will be absent). If I win, they will want two works greater than 15 minutes (which I have), and one greater than 20, (which I will have a year to write).

I hereby thank Mr. G and his excellent software, without which I don't think this work would have ever been written.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thumbs up Re: WMP composition finalist - performances TBA

Congratulations! This sounds like a great opportunity even if you aren’t the winner, though I wish you the best of luck on winning. I’m sure you will keep us informed on when your piece is going to be performed and all of the other details.

Edit – I just listened to the 5 Unlikely Visions – I’m very impressed and can understand why you were chosen as a finalist. Great work.
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 07-31-2006 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Listened to music....
    Trent P. McDonald

Thats great news. Congrats to you, Jamie. I'll be rooting for you to win along with the others here.

David

Five Unlikely Visions (Thread and downloads here) has been selected as one of three finalists in the WMP 2006-07 Composition Competition.
    YAY! Knock 'em dead!!!!! Congratulations, this IS exciting news!!!! Very nice!
    Styxx

Re: WMP composition finalist - performances TBA

Wow, congrats, that's great news!!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Many, many congratulations, Jamie!

And well deserved!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Congratulations and good luck!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Well done, Jamie. I think you're gonna win, but having your music played "live" is a wonderful thing in itself.

CONGRATULATIONS, JAMIE.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum