• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Dark Scores?

Share/Bookmark

Dark Scores?

I'm doing a score for a film/documentary that will require an overall 'dark' score.

Just wanted to see if anyone had some good references of dark, not scary/horror, but dark scores.

I've been listening some to Man on Fire, it has a dark ambience.

Will Musser

Re: Dark Scores?

Angelo Badalamenti is pretty good for "dark."

"A Perfect Murder" comes to mind.

Well, it's your Lucky Day. I'm mainly a Dark/horror/thriller composer, maybe I can help you. There are many good score references, but I have to tell you that in Dark Scores the main thing to concern is Harmony...ok, Melody is also very important, but in this case HArmony should do the most part. Do you have an email or MSN? We can talk more closer then, I can give you some inspiration, can send you some compositions of mine, can send you some soundtracks.

When you say you need a Dark score, what dou you mean by Dark? Sad? Melancolic? Or something more Misterious(like that Egyptian Documentaries scores, they are often very ominous...dark in tone, but are not Horror)...explain me better what you need, jus to clarify the things...
    Don't worry, free of charge...LoL.

Best Regards...

Quote Originally Posted by Renan Fersy
    Do you have an email or MSN? We can talk more closer then, I can give you some inspiration, can send you some compositions of mine, can send you some soundtracks.

When you say you need a Dark score, what dou you mean by Dark? Sad? Melancolic? Or something more Misterious(like that Egyptian Documentaries scores, they are often very ominous...dark in tone, but are not Horror)...explain me better what you need, jus to clarify the things...
    Hey! Wait!! Don't just tell wmusser... tell us too!!!!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Perhaps what you seek is on www.sidbarnhoorn.com hahaha :P j/k

Good luck with your search...

Cheers,
    Siddhartha Barnhoorn
    ----------------------------------
    Email:
    info@sidbarnhoorn.com
    MSN:
    sidbarnhoorn@hotmail.com
    AIM:
    sid barnhoorn
    www.sidbarnhoorn.com

Perhaps I should clarify, I'm doing the score to the documentary myself, not the production of the actual documentary.

Thanks for the feedback.

Will Musser

So you kind of doing this for entertainment? Ok, no problem...I help you the same way. If you want me do that, sure.

Best Regards...

Renan,

Yes, well I am trying to just get ideas of other's work in evoking a dark sound without it being horror. I've sent you an email.

Will Musser

Hi I've seen your email. If you want a melancolic sound you should hear HOSTAGE score by Alexandre Desplat, THE RING by Hans Zimmer, Hide and Seek by John Ottman(I don't like his compostions, but they are very melancolic...any Horror/suspense score by him is kind of melancolic). James Newton Howard's Score "Lady In The Water" is also a nice listening, though it's not melancolic. It's similar to his Score for M. Night Shyamalan "Signs" ominous moments, some scary moments, happy moments. Very complete.

To compose dark music use mainly Strings and Woodwind. Brass doesn't sound cool in this kind of mood. Tuned Percussion like Glockenspiel, Celesta(this one is great) are good for some passages...mainly when the rest of orchestra is low, like just providing the harmony. A Music Box theme is also usefull.

Just to give you some ideas.

Best Regards.

Go Back to forum