• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Basil Poledouris Music being stolen???

Share/Bookmark

Angry Basil Poledouris Music being stolen???

I'm sorry since I think it is a serious issue, so i put here for more people especially musicians paying attention:

Today, when I was working, I heard my TV station showing a drama program with Basil Poledouris (I'm sure it is, exactly the same!) orchestral music from Conan the Destroyer (1984 film) as the score of its own drama.

The drama use a quite long segment of it (around 1 min I think), for at least 2 times, I feel it is disgusting, because why did the drama, especially it is a quite famous TV station in my country, having a drama with other's intellectual property of music as theirs? Are they, as a big TV station, allowing the stealing of music from those famous score? Or does it has problem or not?

The TV program having the suspicious problem is shown on 4/8/2006, Friday, 8:30pm - 9:30pm (my country local time)

http://tvcity.tvb.com/drama/the_savi...age/index.html

(TV station website of this drama, Chinese langauge)

I feels very disgusting, because think about even a big TV station can do this, how we can protect our work with intellectual property?

Re: Basil Poledouris Music being stolen???

Or maybe they have licence to Use it ???

All TV stations have licences so they can use music like that. They pay some yearly fee... Atleast thats it how it workd here in Denmark.

A TV program has used 'Gremlins' as it's main titles, and often we here Forest Gump in documetary commercials etc. Thats just how it is.

Nothing new - nothing criminal.

I used to hear "other composers' music" placed in TV program titles (usually main theme or opening), but how about in the drama, a segment of it, just a few minutes or less than a minutes? And actually Basil 's music is very well-known in western countries, but not in my country, especially these dramas mainly for housewife audience only.

For long time ago, I used to know a few programs using a short segment of less well-known music (usually not well-known within our society) without proper licence or permission, the folks said those big companies will not be passionate to try to figure out their music being used outside some countries, such as China, Taiwan or HongKong, is it true?? Though it was a rare case, But the first reaction from the event today is so disgusting to me. Maybe they have licenced, I don't know. If not, then, as a big TV station company, how they know they won't not discovered?

May be I'm oversensitive. It is just my first reaction on this.

What annoys me even more is when another composer is credited with the music. I happened to watch a couple of 'Barbie' movies this week (it's my vacation and my daughters are calling the shots). In the Nutcracker starring Barbie a composer called Arnie Roth is credited with the music, although it does at least say 'Based on the Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky.' (It would be kind of hard not to).

In Rapunzel starring Barbie, the music is Dvorak's 9th Symphony, chopped up and used as appropriate to the plot. Arnie Roth has done very little, if anything, but is credited with the music. I can't even find a 'Based on Dvorak's 9th Symphony' disclaimer.

Most film music is "Published" which, in practice, means that the film company, as Publisher, takes 50% of a composer's royalty. There is a legal duty for the Publisher to find other uses and revenue streams for the music, so in effect by licensing the music for a commercial or other TV program they are actually fulfilling their contractual obligations.

D

The most recent commercial for Sargento cheese is using a waltz from Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty. I hope they're not implying that his music is cheesy.

The exact theme from Stargate SG-1 was used in as a movie theme (w/Angelina Jolie) a year or two ago. I have to assume they licensed it. It does strike me odd that they'd use a theme for their movie that's still very much in the public eye on television.

Quote Originally Posted by Beepa
    May be I'm oversensitive. It is just my first reaction on this.
    You are not... that was quite my reaction many years ago when I heard Aaron Kwok's song which half of it is actually from the musical "Sweet Charity'" (of course, no indication if it's a cover or whatever, not even mentioning the original composer as well)

Anyway, nice to see someone who lives in HK too on this forum.

Cheers,
    Frankie
    Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon W3520, 12GB RAM) / Windows 7 x64 / Sonar 8 / VE Pro / WIVI 2.3 / Kontakt 4 / G-Player 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Beepa
    I'm sorry since I think it is a serious issue, so i put here for more people especially musicians paying attention:

Today, when I was working, I heard my TV station showing a drama program with Basil Poledouris (I'm sure it is, exactly the same!) orchestral music from Conan the Destroyer (1984 film) as the score of its own drama.

The drama use a quite long segment of it (around 1 min I think), for at least 2 times, I feel it is disgusting, because why did the drama, especially it is a quite famous TV station in my country, having a drama with other's intellectual property of music as theirs? Are they, as a big TV station, allowing the stealing of music from those famous score? Or does it has problem or not?

The TV program having the suspicious problem is shown on 4/8/2006, Friday, 8:30pm - 9:30pm (my country local time)

http://tvcity.tvb.com/drama/the_savi...age/index.html

(TV station website of this drama, Chinese langauge)

I feels very disgusting, because think about even a big TV station can do this, how we can protect our work with intellectual property?
    I hope you never visit 3rd world countries, developing countries, or countries known for being unscrupulous when it comes to violation of copyrights. They steal images, music, writings, pirate softwares..etc so much it'd make your head spin. Watching any TV show or listening to any radio station in China you will catch well-known scores for just about any movie ever made. And of course, all are stolen. I remember watching a beauty pageant that had the Star Wars theme as the intro music--totally tacky and definitely stolen. They steal music from Japanese animation scores too--I can usually identify which shows they stole from.

On the image side, you'd see Korean, Japanese, American, European celebrities selling products they never endorsed or even heard of. Just steal images from magazines or the internet, then Photoshop that sucker along with images of some crappy product, and bam! You've now got Nicole Kidman selling diet pills, Ayumi Hamasaki selling aid toys, Sophie Marceau selling cheap lip gloss, and Sung Hye-Gyo selling eye drops. China is one of the most shameless country I've ever been to in terms of stealing intelluctual property.

Go Back to forum