• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orch for live playing via laptop

Share/Bookmark

Red face Orch for live playing via laptop

Okay, I've been using Giga with several large libraries, mostly SISS and SAM stuff. I am now setting up a laptop for live playing, and have most of my options covered, but I haven't used the smaller-footprint orch libs like GPO, Silver, etc.

Looking for a recommendation on smaller, cheaper, laptop-friendly orch plug/app/library that would have very playable, warm setups/patches for playing in real-time. Any opinions?

Re: Orch for live playing via laptop

oh, and memory/cpu usage is a factor, if you can comment on that as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    for playing in real-time.
    You mean playing off a sequencer or sequence/keyboard setup in real time, not actually whole orchestral parts from a keyboard in real time, right??

It depends on what you're planning to do with it I think - will you be backing other instrumentalists, or will it be just you? If you're just doing it solo then it's just up to your personal tastes, but if you're backing other folks, I very strongly have to recommend EWQL Silver. In my experience, it blends surprisingly well with anything you put it behind, often to the point where you don't even realize part of it is MIDI!

Only exception would be if you want a smaller and more intimate sound, in which case it's up to you... I'm not sure what else would give a nice small ensemble sound without costing too much RAM/CPU. Silver XP has small string section patches, but I personally don't like them too much (despite how conveniently programmed they are).

For reference, EWQL Silver is about 2.9 gigs total, with single instruments ranging from 20 - 200mb (but usually closer to ~40mb per patch on average, I'd say). That's without DFD mode, which may or may not work so well on a laptop.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

From a keyboard in real time, but sometimes sweet hi strings, sometimes thick warm mid-range strings (celli/viola), at times bombastic orch brass, full-range.....playing with other instrumentalists, yes, but need thick full powerful more than subtlety....

Above helps, even....thanks

so, with Silver, are there programmed setups for say "Strings" that would assign appropriate samples for the full range of the keyboard (i.e. Cellos in the cello range, violins in their range, etc.) that would make a decently playable patch? or would one set this up oneself?

or maybe an "orch brass" patch that would grab tuba, trombone, french horn and trumpets samples and lay them out for a generic patch?

Have you thought about Synful? No drive footprint at all to speak of, great real-time expressivity, and you can build & position your own ensembles. Some people complain about the realism on close inspection, but i would bet that you're going to do ten times better using Synful than using Silver if you're a good player, particularly in a live situation. It's definitely at least worth downloading the demo to see what you think.

Keyboard splits can't be done from within Synful; it's one instrument patch per midi channel, so those would have to be set up in your host program. EWQLSO Gold does have decent keyboard split patches for strings, and Silver therefore probably does as well.

I have tried GPO, Silver, and now Colossus live. But I could not get what I consider satisfactory results on my 2.53G P4 Northwood with 5400RPM drive and 1G RAM for any of them. Part of it was the drive speed (and most laptops come with 4500RPM drives, even slower.) I had to set a 512 sample buffer, (or 256 with just one instantiation loaded) and that is just too slow. I finally gave up and bought a Receptor. With 2G RAM and 160G drive, it was about 2 grand, but well worth it. I have setups for orchestral with Silver and GPO and Colossus all in use at the same time, plus a couple keystrokes and I have a full live-performance jazz/R&B rig with B4 organ, great piano and electric piano and optional bass splits, optional string pad wash over the piano, and a whole set of sound FX, etc. Or a Kontakt 2 sample player. Or...

I held off for a long time because I just didn't want to spend that much yet again, and the available VSTs are quite limited (but the ones there are are some of the best.)

For live gigs, it's great, once you have set it to your liking. Huge output (my sound guy at our weekly funk gig is happiest when I set the gain at 10;0clock, I usually set most gear to 2 o'clock - that's a huge gain difference.

But it definitely is NOT for everyone, if you check into it, be sure to see what is currently available; like most long-term relationships, your needs may not coincide, or it may answer your every desire ...)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    so, with Silver, are there programmed setups for say "Strings" that would assign appropriate samples for the full range of the keyboard (i.e. Cellos in the cello range, violins in their range, etc.) that would make a decently playable patch? or would one set this up oneself?

I think you'd have to set it up yourself, but it'd take maybe 2 minutes tops; just load them, set the channels to "omni", save as a multi. Silver XP has defaults like that for chamber strings. About Synful, I know its main strength is in the expression it gives, but doesn't that require it to pre-scan the music, ie. not working in realtime? Or did they find a way around that in later versions?
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Will Roget
    About Synful, I know its main strength is in the expression it gives, but doesn't that require it to pre-scan the music, ie. not working in realtime? Or did they find a way around that in later versions?
    Synful does require midi lookahead mode in order to achieve its highest possible level of realism. But even without that mode enabled, it's still very expressive and, especially when you play sections, realism doesn't take much of a hit either. (Section building is pretty cool in Synful - you pick the number of individual instruments to clone, spread them into position with a built in early reflection engine, then you can vary them by instrument timbre, attack time, note length, velocity and vibrato randomization.)

Wisely, given its novelty, Synful provides a 15 day full function downloadable demo. So it will be Austin's call as to what he thinks of the results in relation to what his needs are.

Go Back to forum