• Register
  • Help

Topic: cymbals.

Share/Bookmark

cymbals.

sorry if this question is asked a lot but i would really like to know. I want to have a cymbal role in my piece(or reverse cymbal) but i don't use a keyboard or any sequencers so a mod wheel is out of the question. I use Finale 06 Point and Click so i don't know how to create a cymbal role.

Re: cymbals.

Quote Originally Posted by n3wman918
    sorry if this question is asked a lot but i would really like to know. I want to have a cymbal role in my piece(or reverse cymbal) but i don't use a keyboard or any sequencers so a mod wheel is out of the question. I use Finale 06 Point and Click so i don't know how to create a cymbal role.
    the cymbal roll is, I believe, the G#, 2.5 octaves above middle C (4 ledger lines above the staff).

if you are using HumanPlayback then you also have to notate it in a particular way. HP and Finale assume that percussion instruments are velocity based, so if you use a percussion clef on the staf that will have your cymbal roll it will not recognize hairpin crescendos and dims.

The easiest way around this is to select the "blank" clef for your cymbal staff (it's in the second row of choices when you use the staff tool -> first clef). This way, HP doesn't assume that you are writing a percussion part (besides, from what I've seen, no clef at the beginning of a percussion staff appears to be more or less standard in orchestral repertoire).

to get proper notation, you can then create a "Staff style" for your cymbal, that will use "percussion notation", allowing you to remap those high G#s to whatever line you want on your staff, or even to create a single-line staff (which is what I do).

If you want a file that contains all this, I can always send you a finale file set up this way. send me a PM to let me know.

I've gotten a lot of private messages requesting the demo file on how to create a percussion roll in Finale.

I've decided to leave that file on my website.

A note: this is ONLY applicable to Finale 2006.

It does not work at all in Finale 2007, so don't bother trying.

This is a brief tutorial file best viewed in page view, on how to write for percussion isntruments using Finale 2006 and Robert P.'s HumanPlayback.

Do not use the "apply HumanPlayback" plug-in for this to work.
    The idea was to have HP playback as written without adding superfluous MIDI data to the file.

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/percussion_demo.MUS

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    I've gotten a lot of private messages requesting the demo file on how to create a percussion roll in Finale.

I've decided to leave that file on my website.

A note: this is ONLY applicable to Finale 2006.

It does not work at all in Finale 2007, so don't bother trying.

This is a brief tutorial file best viewed in page view, on how to write for percussion isntruments using Finale 2006 and Robert P.'s HumanPlayback.

Do not use the "apply HumanPlayback" plug-in for this to work.
    The idea was to have HP playback as written without adding superfluous MIDI data to the file.

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/percussion_demo.MUS
    Have you been able to get anything to work in '07?

I tried creating my own HP definitions to utilize the GPO rolls. I had one set to use CC1 for dynamics when text expression contained 'GPO roll'. It didn't seem to work though. Next I was going to worry about creating an articulation that would have no affect, just visual. But I didn't get to that point, since I couldn't get the playback to work.

no, so far I can't get any of my "bypasses" to work in 2007.
    so I've decided to leave 2007 aside while I work, until a solution is found.
    I'm continuing to work in 2006.
    I'll just transfer the files to 2007 for the parts and score and stuff.

Hi Michel,
    I just downloaded the file and got a very long page of "it's Greek to me."
    Must be IBM....

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Hi Michel,
    I just downloaded the file and got a very long page of "it's Greek to me."
    Must be IBM....
    it should just be a Finale 2006 file.
    I don't see why there would be a problem, I've opened Mac Finale files and Mac people have opened PC Finale files without any hitches.

maybe try again... it could have been a download glitch?

Go Back to forum