• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB - Beginnings (Chicago)

Share/Bookmark

JABB - Beginnings (Chicago)

Here's a link to the Chicago song - Beginnings: http://members.cox.net/haydn12/Begininngs.mp3

This was done just after NAMM in 2005 when JABB still had a ways to release. Drums, trumpets, alto sax, trombone and some of the percussion are JABB. Bass, guitar and vocals are real. All instruments were recorded by me.

Jim

Re: JABB - Beginnings (Chicago)

I played that song at least 10,000 times in the early 70's on trombone in a horn band that did Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, Lighthouse, Jazz Crusaders, CC Riders etc in New Orleans.
    Not that bad. The horns should have more punch. I thought the trombone sample was better than the trumpet which suprises me being a bone player.

Brooster,

This was a pretty quick and dirty rendition of this piece. I was just trying to see how everything worked. There was maybe 5 instruments sort of completed in JABB at the time and I don't even know if all the controllers were programmed yet as there was no documentation.

Part of the punch of Chicago horns was the tube compression used back then. There is always distortion on the early Chicago brass which gave them part of their character. One of these days I'd like to pick up a real tube compressor to run the horns through as none of the plug-ins I've tried quite do it.

Jim

Wow, great job on this, Jim.

I'll leave the technical nitpickery to them who
    know more about it. Nor do I expect a flaw-
    less reproduction of the original sound on a
    cut like this...

As it stands, this impressively good work.
    [Writing as I listen and reposting]. Just got
    by the center brass riffing and into the last
    couple of minutes... you know, the word I
    gotta lay down is, I like some of this better
    than the original.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hayden,

Not that bad was met to mean that it was Very Good!
    I listened to it about five times. You sure did your homework!

As to the punch of the horns, I was punch drunk and stoned back in the old days. We really blasted away on that stuff. It was fun. I miss the Intimate experience you get from a brass instrument (trumpet-trombone) with your lips being the actual tone generator.

Chicago's first album was, in my opinion, their best. They still had a rowdy local night club sound. As the years went by they got too refined (sissy).

Excellent job, Jim.

Is that you singing? You have a nice voice.

This song brings back memories. thanks for posting it.

Gary

Gary,

Yes, that's my beautiful singing voice and I didn't even use the pitch correction built into Sonar 5! Actually I still think I sound like a frog on steroids.

BTW, I used some transcriptions put out by Hal Leonard for this piece. They are quite close to the record. The drum parts took about as long to record as the rest of the parts. It's like a continuous drum solo.

Brooster, the first Chicago album is also my favorite. Chicago II & III also have quite a bit of adventurous music. I quit listening to Chicago after Chicago VIII because they just went too commercial and started to lose the quirky pieces from the early days. Terry Kath's guitar playing on the first album is some of his best work.

Jim

Thumbs up Re: JABB - Beginnings (Chicago)

Well this is proof there isn't anything you can't find in the listening room.

Well done Haydn, and you definitely don't sound like a frog, your voice is great, sounds like it was meant for singing.

David

Jim,

That is a really nice, yeah I remember hearing a few time or two . You really did it justice. Thanks for posting it.

Gary

www.garybricault. com

Jim, really excellent, the drums programming is incredible!

Roberto

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast