• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dumb newbie quest - Who cares about the sound card????

Share/Bookmark

Dumb newbie quest - Who cares about the sound card????

I\'m getting ready to buy GigaSampler (or GigaStudio, still don\'t know which) along with a new laptop. I\'ve never used MIDI gear in my life, so I\'ve got some REALLY basic questions. Such as: why should I care what kind of sound card my laptop has if I\'m going to be using sound libraries? My laptop is already going to be expensive enough without insisting on a fancy sound card. Does this matter?

- John Strong
    (a-jstro@microsoft.com)

Re: Dumb newbie quest - Who cares about the sound card????

All the hardware matters with a giga system, you should check past posts in the hardware section. Not many have gotten a decent giga system with a laptop (probably harddisk i/o). Not only does the soundcard matter, more importantly is its drivers. To avoid buying something you cant make work you\'ll have to do some reading here, good luck getting your system together.

Giga makes very heavy demands on your computer\'s hardware. If you were using GigaStudio 160, for example, and you wanted to get the full 160 advertized notes without any hiccups, you could think of the data traffic jam as something like playing 80 stereo audio CDs at the same time--and they\'re all going faster and slower and louder and softer depending on what you are doing at your keyboard. It\'s a huge amount of data and processing.

Regarding the sound card, since all of the sounds your computer makes must go through it, including Giga\'s, it\'s pretty critical unless you just don\'t care how it sounds or how noisy it is. Notebook sound cards are notoriously disgusting. Keep in mind also that your sound card must support Microsoft Direct Sound (or Nemesys\' own GSIF interface) in order for Giga to work.

Giga is an extraordinary product but to run well it needs to be paired with quality, optimized hardware.

Wow. I\'m sure glad I got this feedback before plunging into a hardware purchase!! One previous reply suggested a machine with a 900Mhz processor and a 7200 RPM disk drive. Would that, together with a decent sound card (what\'s decent?) and say, 256MB of RAM memory, be sufficient to handle the full polyphony capabilities of the GigaStudio?

This configuration may be adequate as long as you have fast I/O, but it is strongly recommended that you have TWO hard drives and place your Giga samples on the second drive. This works around Windows\' habit of ignoring Giga\'s data flow needs when it makes its own calls to the C: drive. I have set up a number of Giga machines and can testify to the difference the second drive makes (like about 40-50 additional notes of polyphony in my experience). - Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pluviosilla:
    Wow. I\'m sure glad I got this feedback before plunging into a hardware purchase!! One previous reply suggested a machine with a 900Mhz processor and a 7200 RPM disk drive. Would that, together with a decent sound card (what\'s decent?) and say, 256MB of RAM memory, be sufficient to handle the full polyphony capabilities of the GigaStudio?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Back to forum