• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Lesson 11 Discussion - Harmony

Share/Bookmark

Lesson 11 Discussion - Harmony

This thread is to discuss Lesson 11 which begin our discussion on harmony. Until now we have examined melody which is usually a single foreground line and from here on we will explore multiple lines with a focus on blend and balance.

Although there are no interactive scores in this lesson, the information provided in this lesson will set the groundwork for the following lessons dealing with harmony among the various instrument groups.

Feel free to ask questions here or to discuss any of the material presented in this lesson.

Gary Garritan

Re: Lesson 11 Discussion - Harmony

This is an area that I have a lot of trouble with. Melody is easy... giving it to various combinations makes sense to me. The background... "aye, there's the rub..." I have a hard time figuring out what chord voicing to give to what instruments. Should I limit myself to one section, until I get the hang of it? Say, only the string section or what ever section?

Thanks,
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

You are right, harmony is quite a bit more complicated. The basic rule is BLEND. Harmony will not work with overly disparate timbres. (The classic beginner's mistake is to orchestrate a chord for winds with a different timbre on each note.) Essentially all the advice RK gives in this section of his book is designed to created blended and balanced chords.

String harmony is the easiest to start with. The conditions for getting it right are few and simple - see chapter 12, coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland
    This is an area that I have a lot of trouble with. Melody is easy... giving it to various combinations makes sense to me. The background... "aye, there's the rub..." I have a hard time figuring out what chord voicing to give to what instruments. Should I limit myself to one section, until I get the hang of it? Say, only the string section or what ever section?

Thanks,
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html (links to examples of my music, as well as my online textbooks)

Professor,

Thank you for taking the time to answer that. I have been comparatively limiting myself to the strings lately... not completely limited... just somewhat. LOL

At about 2:05 in this one...Mesmerize
    I'm obviously still learning. LOL

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to arrive... I guess that would make you the parents with the 4:00 a.m. wake-up call from the kids!! LOL

Thanks for the help, professor.
    Paul

Glad to be of help.

And after you get the feel of making the harmony blend and balance, there is another step which RK does not discuss: orchestral *movement*.

But let's leave a few presents for next year. In fact, Gary and I have been discussing an interesting follow up to this course. Details to be revealed in due course ... ;-)

Professor,

Thank you for taking the time to answer that. I have been comparatively limiting myself to the strings lately... not completely limited... just somewhat. LOL

At about 2:05 in this one...Mesmerize
    I'm obviously still learning. LOL

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to arrive... I guess that would make you the parents with the 4:00 a.m. wake-up call from the kids!! LOL

Thanks for the help, professor.
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html (links to examples of my music, as well as my online textbooks)

RK does not mention what Walter Piston describes as harmonic rhythm. Is this the same as the harmonic movement mentioned above? It seems to me right that there is a pace or beat aspect to harmony changes which strongly affect the character of the music and this pace needs to be a basic consideration in developing progressions. If not premature just now, some comment would be welcome.

Professor,

If you tease us like this... the wake-up call might be at 3:00a.m. next year!! LOL

Have you given any more thought to the weekend seminar for next summer? I would be very interested in that! Of course, maybe, I should remove the link from my last post! Hearing how bad it is, might influence your decision to let me go. LOL

Thank you again, Professor Belkin.
    Paul

No, orchestral movement is something quite different from harmonic rhythm. Stay tuned ... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by dermod
    RK does not mention what Walter Piston describes as harmonic rhythm. Is this the same as the harmonic movement mentioned above? It seems to me right that there is a pace or beat aspect to harmony changes which strongly affect the character of the music and this pace needs to be a basic consideration in developing progressions. If not premature just now, some comment would be welcome.
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

Yes, I have "given more thought to the weekend seminar for next summer". Patience, my boy .... ;-)

Professor,

If you tease us like this... the wake-up call might be at 3:00a.m. next year!! LOL

Have you given any more thought to the weekend seminar for next summer? I would be very interested in that! Of course, maybe, I should remove the link from my last post! Hearing how bad it is, might influence your decision to let me go. LOL

Thank you again, Professor Belkin.
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

...yes, sir... ***sighs while looking defeated***
    Paul

Go Back to forum