• Register
  • Help

Topic: Interlochen Arts Camp

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Interlochen Arts Camp

Hello, everyone!
    I just got back from Interlochen Arts Camp last night. What a great place!!!
    I was an organ major/composition minor. I'd have to say that the best thing about Interlochen is the wonderful people you get to meet. I made closer friends there then I've ever had in my life. One of the nicest things about Interlochen was that I got to practice on a Kiwai grand and a full-size Allen church organ. I became very spoiled and when I got home I sat down at my Baldwin Acrosonic spinet and couldn't take the light touch. My piano teacher knows how to put weights in the action to make it heavier. We'll probably do that.

Too much to put in one post!!! Such a great experience!!!
    It's great to be back home!
    -Chris

Re: Interlochen Arts Camp

I went there when I was 17.

It was a momentous period in my life.

I had come form a small town (Fargo) and I was top dog in the state on my instrument. I was sure I was going to be the next Dale Clevenger or Barry Tuckwell.

I got to Interlochen on a scholarship but after two days there, I realized I was pond scum.

It was good though. It was rude awakening, but ultimately helped me figure out what I should do for a living. NOT...being a performance major.

Saw a lot of great music, played under great conductors (Fred Fennel, Larry Rachlif) and grew immensely as a musician.

Glad to hear it is still a great place!!

I am an alum also (band, jazz band, concerto winner). Went back for alumni weekend a couple of years ago and was ecstatic to see the magic still alive and so much unchanged.

If any of you know of any gifted local arts students, I cannot recommend more highly that you suggest they look into a summer at Interlochen, possibly followed up by a high school education at the Arts Academy. No other high school in the nation has had more Presidential Scholars in the Arts.

Cool, welcome home, cptexas. Take any pics? i bet that part of Michigan is beautiful, but i have never been there.

You can put thumb tacks in the hammers and it will sound awesome. I'm kidding don't do that. Weighting them sounds interesting, is it using something made for doing that? You should have a piano tech regulate the action before to remove any lost or late motion in the action, and set the fall of those knuckle thingies i forgot the name of, and then check it after the weighting to make sure all the timings are still the same.

This is the first time that I have ever heard of this camp. Yet now I kind of want to go to it. Too bad that my summers are too crammed with other activities and that to be able to go though
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

[QUOTE=Ernstinen]Heheh! I had the same experience. The older kids were SO much better than me.QUOTE]

It wasn't the older kids being better than me that was a shock.

It was the ones several years younger!!

I took lots of pics, but none digital. Maybe I can scan some in. They're mostly of the inside guts of their new organ in the chapel. The pipe organ is SO COOL!!! Here's the Interlochen campus photo gallery:
    http://www.interlochen.org/about/cam...c_interlochen/
    I was actually really surprised that there were an entire TWELVE organ majors! I was expecting maybe two or three. It's great that organ is still somewhat alive.
    At the end of camp they had the Le Preludes final concert with all of the high school enseambles combined. It was amazing with a 450-piece orchestra of the two wind symphonies and the two orchestras, and there were even dancers! I wonder if GPOA can do that...

-Chris

I didn't go to Interlochen but went to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camps which is quite a bit like Interlochen. It is on the western side of Michigan by Grand Rapids. The band camp in the American Pie movies is actually a take off on on Blue Lake. In the movie Grand Rapids is Great Falls and Blue Lake is Tall Oaks.

Jim

Well, I did not get to Interlochen. But I can imagine it was a grand time. I had a grand time at a music seminar in Berchtesgaden, Germany around 45 years ago, and still remember much of it. Tell us more when you get the time.

Richard

Ern,

What year(s) did you go to Blue Lake? I was there in 1974 and played guitar in one of the jazz bands. We had a kid on 1st Trumpet, Danny Duncan, who was just going into either 10th or 11th grade that played like a pro. He could solo over anything and had no problems hitting any of the high notes.

Another thing I liked about Blue Lake is the boys were outnumbered by the girls and there sure were some cute dance students!

Jim

Go Back to forum