• Register
  • Help

Topic: Last-gen CPU - Athlon 64 X2 or Pentium D?

Share/Bookmark

Last-gen CPU - Athlon 64 X2 or Pentium D?

Subject says it all, really.

I've been out of the hardware loop for a while now, and would like to build a new system that takes advantage of the recent price cuts in AMD/Intel's last-generation dual-core chips. I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are potential replies, but I'm curious what the consensus is between an X2 and a Pentium D?

As far as I can tell, the D's run a little cheaper, but also a little hotter. Is it worth the price difference? How are the mobos for both chips these days?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dennis DeSantis
    www.dennisdesantis.com

Re: Last-gen CPU - Athlon 64 X2 or Pentium D?

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdesantis
    Subject says it all, really.

I've been out of the hardware loop for a while now, and would like to build a new system that takes advantage of the recent price cuts in AMD/Intel's last-generation dual-core chips. I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are potential replies, but I'm curious what the consensus is between an X2 and a Pentium D?

As far as I can tell, the D's run a little cheaper, but also a little hotter. Is it worth the price difference? How are the mobos for both chips these days?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    My newest machine I built is an Intel. I based it on that Intel chips have less problems with hardware. I also went with an Intel board because they have a 3 year warranty. Plus older Intel hardware is still available. This is not so much the case with AMD.

Re: Last-gen CPU - Athlon 64 X2 or Pentium D?

Athlon 64 X2s are less power hungry and run much cooler than a comparable Pentium D. Up to Conroe (Intel's newest design) AMD pretty much cleans Intel's clock for performance as well, and for generally less money. Unless you're going to pony up for a new Intel Core 2 Duo or something, I'd stick with AMD.

I know some people have run into problems with audio and NForce4, which is a common mobo chipset for Athlon 64 CPUs, but other than that I don't know of any problems that AMD CPUs have with hardware. FWIW, the NForce4 audio latency issues seem to be mostly ironed out, and they were generally mostly a problem with single core CPUs. I'm running an Opteron 165 with an ASUS NForce4 mobo and it's been a real workhorse for audio.

Go Back to forum