• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trills not playing back on second measure of tied note

Share/Bookmark

Trills not playing back on second measure of tied note

I have a piece where I have two measures tied together on a single pitch with a trill attached to the first measure note. When playing back, however, the trill only sounds on the first measure, then becomes just a held pitch on the second measure for some reason, completely ignoring the tie marking that should obviously continue the trill into the second bar.

Any ideas as to why this might happen or how to fix it? Finale 2006 with full GPO. If more info is needed to figure it out, please let me know.

Re: Trills not playing back on second measure of tied note

Have you mistakenly used a slur mark instead of a tie mark?

I'm using Finale 2007 with Full GPO and have the same issue. I have had to place a trill over each tied note and then get a new attack for each trill. Mine are ties not slurs. I haven't submitted this to the Finale Forum yet but I will.

D. Mauney

Quote Originally Posted by pianodoc
    I'm using Finale 2007 with Full GPO and have the same issue. I have had to place a trill over each tied note and then get a new attack for each trill. Mine are ties not slurs. I haven't submitted this to the Finale Forum yet but I will.

D. Mauney
    my suggestion is: don't submit it to the forum, submit it to tech support.
    the forum will just bitch and whine about it, but do nothing.
    tech support, on the other hand, CAN do something about it.
    send a clearly explained tech support request.
    I am sending one as well, with an accompanying file to demonstrate the problem.
    the more people "notice" a problem, the better it is.

No need to send anything to tech support. It works correctly. I posted a 2007 file demonstrating this on your Finale forum thread.

JT

actually, on the WIN version of Finale 2007, if you have two tied whole notes (or even tied half notes in the same measure), placing a trill over only the first note will not get playabck of the trill on the second note.
    placing a trill on the second note as well gives you a repeated attack on that second note rather than a fluid transition from one trilled note to the next.

however, a caveat: this was the same in Finale 2006.

(p.s.there appears to be a problem accessing your file on the Finale forum. there could be a new question of compatibility between mac and win files)

No, it is most definitely a tie and not a slur. 2006 version, Windows XP. Timpani rolls and/or string tremelos play back correctly across tied notes with no breaks, but the trills do not. I my case it is 6/8 time with tied dotted half notes in each measure.

I have likewise noted this behavior with trills created with
    the Articulation Tool.

Trills created with the Smart Shape tool behave properly.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I have likewise noted this behavior with trills created with
    the Articulation Tool.

Trills created with the Smart Shape tool behave properly.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    actually, I ahve tried every possible permutation of tril notation, and it doesn't work in any of them.
    this is with the Win version of Finale.
    I got feedback from tech support, and they said they were now aware of the problem.
    (I even included a recording of the problem, demonstrating that each way of notating it had the same issue)

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    however, a caveat: this was the same in Finale 2006.
    Not quite the same. In F06 you can have several measures of tied notes trill, if you place a Smart Shape trill on the first note and extend it to cover all the measures. But, there is an attack on each measure and it can be more or less pronounced, depending on which HP Style you choose. I found, that Standard gave less attack than Custom... | Standard | Rhythm. Accents = None. Go figure!

Go Back to forum