• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and other samples

Share/Bookmark

GPO and other samples

I've been listening to quite a few organ samples and have a few questions.

Since GPO uses Kontakt and other organ samples are for Kontakt, can I just purchase those samples and use them in place of the GPO organ, or do I need to buy Kontakt or Hauptwerk to make it work?

I don't think the GPO organ is what I'm looking for. I'm wanting a romantic sound. I've been looking at the Milan Digital Audio's Skinner samples. I really want to use a Cavaille-Coll sample but I've not found one that will let me use it in recordings.

Is there a chance another GPO organ is on its way???

Any input?
    Earl Green

Re: GPO and other samples

The GPO player will only play GPO samples. If you want to use a different organ library, you'll need to need to make sure you also have a sample player (such as the full Kontakt) that is compatible with it.

I think at some point Gary mentioned that he had samples several different organs, and that means there will probably be some more Garritan organ options available somewhere down the line (maybe in GPOA?).
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks Dan for the info. I would love for GPO to offer another organ. I'm too big on Beckerath.
    Earl Green

Quote Originally Posted by earlwgreen
    I've been listening to quite a few organ samples and have a few questions.

Since GPO uses Kontakt and other organ samples are for Kontakt, can I just purchase those samples and use them in place of the GPO organ, or do I need to buy Kontakt or Hauptwerk to make it work?

I don't think the GPO organ is what I'm looking for. I'm wanting a romantic sound. I've been looking at the Milan Digital Audio's Skinner samples. I really want to use a Cavaille-Coll sample but I've not found one that will let me use it in recordings.

Is there a chance another GPO organ is on its way???

Any input?
    Right now, there are no C-C samples that allow commercial recording.....

Peter Ewers has a set of Schyven organ samples that are very similar to Cavaille-Coll - I happen to own the set....

The sound is VERY nice, but there are a few issues:

- for GIGASTUDIO only
    - not looped, long samples
    - not de-noised

If you fiddle a bit, you can use them, but I've had to do some digital magic to make them usable...

I have some demos of the set if you care to contact me privately (the music is non-Public Domain, so I can't really put it up here, nor should I, since also this is a Garritan forum)

I'm not allowed to divulge any specific details about this next bit of information, but I can say that there is a distinct possibility a non-restricted Cavaille-Coll sampleset might become available someday from someone... gotta be patient, though.

~~

As for the Milan Skinner, I have the set, and it is AWEsome... it's not Cavaille-Coll, but for what it is, is is a FINE example.

Cheerio,

I was hoping you would reply Jonathan. I really like your Karg-Elert piece. The organ sounded very full and rich.

I don't have to have C-C samples. It's just the richness that I'm looking for. Kathleen Battle did a CD called "Grace" and IIRC it was recorded in St. John's the Divine. The CD was wonderful, I loaned it to someone and never got it back! Anyway, I thought the recording was great except, I don't remember them using the organ. And being an organist, I decided if I could ever do my own vocal CD for Christmas, I would like that sound except adding organ.

There are several version of O Holy Night from France where an orchestra, organ, harp and choir are used quite beautifully.

I am not in a hurry for the samples, but it would be nice to use some C-C ranks.

When I was in Paris a few years back, I played for hours on the 2 manual instrument in C-C's parish church, ND-des-champs. Bernadette Dufourcet is organist there and much of the foundations and reeds were still intact. The 8' Flûte harmonique and the 8' Tompette were wonderful! That’s the key to C-C’s organ design. Those 4 foundation stops and the fiery reeds.

Ah well, the Skinner will do nicely until someone comes out with C-C samples that are usable. At least the Skinner has a few celestes and some harmonic flutes.

Question: I know you're an organist, but did you play the organ part in or just use notation software on the Karg-Elert?

Thanks again for the info.
    Earl Green

I was hoping you would reply Jonathan. I really like your Karg-Elert piece. The organ sounded very full and rich.
    Thanks!

Those are my own samples...

<snip>

Question: I know you're an organist, but did you play the organ part in or just use notation software on the Karg-Elert?

Thanks again for the info.
    This time I let Finale do it for ease of synchronizing stuff...

Go Back to forum