• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO, Kontakt 1.x and Incorrect Panning

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation GPO, Kontakt 1.x and Incorrect Panning

Greetings!

Has anyone ever noticed that the panning on Kontakt 1.x (both as a standalone loaded into Studio and in the Finale 2006 bundle) does *not* pan correctly?

Panning an instrument hard right (127) works fine, but panning it hard left (0) puts it just left of center and aurally in the background because it loses volume.

I never noticed this until I started using Sibelius 4.1 GPO version with Kontakt Gold player, which not only places the sounds properly, but does not lose volume when going hard left or right. Kontakt Silver also works.

I know this is going to generate a lot of "works fine for me" responses, but is there anyone else out there who can try it on both Kontakt Gold/Silver (or some other player) and Kontakt 1.x to verify my findings? Or assure me that Kontakt 2 has rectified this problem?

Thnx!

DrH

Re: GPO, Kontakt 1.x and Incorrect Panning

DrH,

I noticed this phenomenom too a year or so ago. If you turn off all reverb, you will notice that the pan settings are correct and work well.

The default "Ballroom 1" is changed from the original Ambience (from the original GPO version) setting too. It is way too wet with dry almost all the way off. So you might want to adjust your reverb, if you are using Ambience.

Hope this helps.
    Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thanks, Jerry!

When you say turn off all reverb, do you mean disable Ambience altogether, or somehow turn it off in the Finale Instrument list (which I'm not sure how to do).

Thnx again,

DrH

Quote Originally Posted by DrH
    Thanks, Jerry!

When you say turn off all reverb, do you mean disable Ambience altogether, or somehow turn it off in the Finale Instrument list (which I'm not sure how to do).

Thnx again,

DrH
    When you load up Finale, under MIDI Menu and under Finale AU setup (or VST, not sure what it looks like on PC), you will see a list of the midi channels and where they are routed.

Here is what mine looks like.

You can unckeck the Ambience or go into the Ambience control panel and adjust things. If your dry slider is all the way off, you will have panning issues. At least this was MY problem.

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Thanks again, Sir Jerry!

Indeed, the panning works much better when dry is not set to "infinity". Any setting from 0db and up seems to put the instruments where they belong.

The million dollar question, of course, is why does this happen? Or won't it matter because Fin2k7's Kontakt 2 player has its own reverb unit that'll work properly?

DrH

Quote Originally Posted by DrH
    Thanks again, Sir Jerry!

Indeed, the panning works much better when dry is not set to "infinity". Any setting from 0db and up seems to put the instruments where they belong.

The million dollar question, of course, is why does this happen? Or won't it matter because Fin2k7's Kontakt 2 player has its own reverb unit that'll work properly?

DrH
    The million dollar answer would be the default settings for GPO Ambience were CHANGED after the original GPO version was updated. GPO's original Ambience settings were all very nice. (Ballroom 1) The dry was set perfectly. I raised this question too, but never got an answer. I just saved the settings I liked and import them whenever needed. I do not see a place to save ambience settings in the AU edit of Finale (for mac) I cannot import other settings, but it will remember whatever adjustments I make for THAT PARTICULAR document.

I do not see in Finale's Kontakt Player 2 where you can adjust reverb. Perhaps it will in the future - I know that with the full GPO you can, given you select the "wet" samples, But there are no such sample sets in Finale 2007's GPO. And if you have full Kontakt 2 player, you can add its built in reverb and IR samples.

Right now, it seems Ambience is it for reverb if you are planning on using nothing more than the GPO that comes with Finale 2007. If you are using other NI players, you have other options.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

See This post for a visual presentation on the CHANGES of Ambience

http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...7&postcount=15

I took screenshots of the default settings in GPO Studio, and of the new Garritan Studio.

Anywhoo. Why it has changed, I have NO IDEA, but I do know I really love the default Ballroom 1 in the original GPO Abience (the first screenshot)

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but one more little push for Tracktion.

While I did all the notation in Finale, I mixed and rendered my Gofriller Demo on my 1ghz 1gb Powerbook and did it COMPLETELY in Tracktion.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=46290

When I did my first few demos here on the forum, I did them on Cubase SX. I had to do a lot of bouncing tracks to audio (this was before Freezing Tracks was added to SX) in order to get anything accomplished, mixing-wise. There were a lot of extra steps involved with Cubase that are just not there in Tracktion.

One thing I should clarify. Cubase is a powerful app. And it does everything you need a DAW to do. The interface and complexity were, for me, the things that kept me from really enjoying it. Nearly every major DAW out there will do pretty much the same things that everyone else will, the differences are where to find those features, how easy to use, how hard to use, etc.

I never have time to write. The last thing I need is a lot of setup time and configuring before I can even get to creating music. THAT, I feel, is probably the BIGGEST reason I love Tracktion so much, and the reason I CONTINUE using it.

Anyway - I'll shut up now. Sorry guys.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

According to my reading of the HP tutorial, the mixer/studio view pan settings override the GPO settings unless panning is set to the "not sending" mode. When GPO loads it does so with the original settings but when HP is invoked the settings in the mixer will over ride the kontact player settings. I just saw this and have not looked into it in any of my scores yet.

D Mauney

Go Back to forum