• Register
  • Help

Topic: Convolution Reverbs- What is all the hype about?

Share/Bookmark

Convolution Reverbs- What is all the hype about?

Ok, I've decided that maybe it's time to see what all the hype is about and purchase Altiverb 5 for windows XP. Before I plunk down $900 I would love to hear some comments on what people think of Altiverb 5 or other convolution reverbs. Am I going to hear a big difference in quality over, let's say, my Powercore reverbs? Are these new convolution reverbs that good? I guess they must since thats all I seem to hear about for reverbs these days. I would love to hear some comments, though.

Thank you and take care,

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Convolution Reverbs- What is all the hype about?

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    Ok, I've decided that maybe it's time to see what all the hype is about and purchase Altiverb 5 for windows XP. Before I plunk down $900 I would love to hear some comments on what people think of Altiverb 5 or other convolution reverbs. Am I going to hear a big difference in quality over, let's say, my Powercore reverbs? Are these new convolution reverbs that good? I guess they must since thats all I seem to hear about for reverbs these days. I would love to hear some comments, though.

Thank you and take care,
    Sean,

I would seek out a Lexicon PCM 91 or go all in for a TC Reverb 4000. Convolutions are ok, but they won't glue a mix together like the PCM 91 or Reverb 4000. Plus, all the reverbs in Altiverb are somewhat dark and muddy. If you don't want to go the hardware route, I would stick with the VSS 3 verb.

Hope this helps

Sean,

If you buy Altiverb for XP you will also pay that price for the excellent IR's that AudioEase include with their products. So you get a "player" and a lot of "content".
    There are also excellent and cheaper alternatives, like Pristine Space ($ 129). No IR's, but you can also look for good (commercial) IR's on the web, like those from NumericalSound (Ernest Cholakis).
    Although I agree with the previous reply that nothing can replace high quality hardware boxes, that you can tweak (!) to the sound that you personally prefer most, I have done some very detailed comparisons between the TCE System 6000 box (which I once rented) and IR's from its presets: I was not able to hear any differences.
    I say, if you have the budget for Altiverb, get it, you won't be disappointed. Using a hardware box, with the additional digital out and in into your DAW seems like a too much expensive and complicated setup (including the latencies that it will add).
    Last tip: don't go looking for free IR's floating on the web - most of them are very bad, you will certainly be disappointed by the convolution concept then.

You should use both sorts of reverb.

D

With a smart setup of convolution plugin(s) and good IR's you can really can have the same quality as with more expensive hardware units. It's just a matter of experimenting, training your ears, comparing, etc. If money is not a problem, get the best hardware you can buy. If you want to save money, go the virtual road.
    And I don't believe the subtle chorusing on reverb tails is such an interesting feature (being not a realistic/real part of ambience). If you really need it, you can simply fake it by creating a smart plugin chain.

Creating a good ambience really boils down to fooling our ears/brains (psychoacoustics), not about being physically "correct".

Another remark: with IR's you really need to understand how "true-stereo" works, otherwise you will not get realistic results.

(I do realize I make some contradictory remarks here, but anyway...)

Go Back to forum