• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newb Question EWQLSO related

Question Newb Question EWQLSO related

Hello everybody,

I'm pretty new to posting on these forums, though I've been lurking for a while.

Essentially I've been saving some money up and I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to build a computer whose sole purpose will be to run Kontakt 2 and EWQLSO Platinum w/ Pro XP. I will be running sequencing and recording software on a separate computer. Basically, I'd like to treat this new machine as I would any of my other Romplers.

But I'm not sure about my choices because I don't really have a lot of resources (monitarily speaking) available to me and I can't really afford any serious mistakes. So I need to be sure that what I'm doing along these lines are going to work.

Personally, I'm very fond of polyphony. I like large orchestral compositions, it's the reason I'm going with EWQLSO Platinum + Pro XP. All those little articulations are important for me, so I'm definitely trying to get an idea of what I can expect depending on my hypothetical comp configuration. So any advice or experiential admissions would be wonderful.

This is the computer that I've been looking at:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (AM2)

Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G

Corsair XMS2 2GB Kit

System HD:
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

Samples HD:
    WD Raptor 150GB

Audio Card:
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI

I don't have any experience with what kind of polyphony these kinds of specs might bring about, or what I should be pushing or tweaking as far as the general setup goes.

Any advice you guys/girls might have would be lovely. I've been stressing out about this for a while, trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I'm not used to spending this kind of money.

Again, the comps sole purpose would be to run EWQLSO Platinum + Pro XP

- Dan

Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA

Re: Newb Question EWQLSO related

I would definately go higher on the CPU.
    Your current choice only has 512 on the L2 cache.

1MB L2 is the way to go.

As a minimum I'd recommend a 64 x2 Processor with (1mb L2 times 2)

The real issue with these things is being able to run at low latency.
    That's why the strongest processor is recommend.
    I'm ready to get the x2 4800+.

I currently have an A64 4000+ (running Gold version 1) and I do have issues with being able to keep my latency set as low as possible although it's still tollerable.

You might have to make sure your mother board choice can handle it.

If it won't ... still ... avoid pci-E.
    I know this makes things hard but one option is to get an MSI neo2Platinum
    from eBay or search froogle.com for one.
    There are a few boards still available that don't have pci-E and are AGP.

Also the 'cuda and raptor would be too loud ( noisy ) for me.
    I'd get Samsung Spinpoints. They're so quiet you can't tell they're running.

Go Back to forum