• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: EWQL Silver vs GPO for a producer new to orchestral sounds?

Share/Bookmark

EWQL Silver vs GPO for a producer new to orchestral sounds?

Hello everyone,

I hesitantly post this thread since I know that many similar threads have been posted in the past. I spent a few hours searching through the forums, but I am still confused about an orchestral product that would suit my needs... so I hope nobody will get offended because of me posting another one of these topics!

Here is my situation:
    I am a musician/producer of electronic genres and have been working with synthesizers, computers, and sound gear for as long as I can remember. I know my techno/dnb/electronica fields well, but I have always felt the desire to add orchestral elements to my music. I also do professional work on soundtracks for movie trailers, corporate presentations, and the like.
    So far they have been limited to whatever I can creatively mangle together with synthesis, sampling, etc.

SO to the point. I am looking for an expressive, relatively realistic sample library. I don't think I'll be needing incredible finesse in general classical compositions; no, instead I am looking for the expressive arco strings, string tremolos, brass swells, (i'm not good in my classical terminology) things you hear in soundtracks for action movies and such. Epic sounding orchestra.

I have looked around and the 2-3 options I found that suit my general budget are these products:

- East West QLSO Silver
    - East West QLSO Silver Pro XP
    - Garritan Personal Orchestra

Can anyone advise me on which of these may sound like it can suit my needs?
    Does GPO have as much bang-for-the-buck as the QLSO expansion, for half the price??
    Are any of these sample libraries cumbersome to use compared to the other?

I have keyboards like the Korg Triton, Korg M1, Korg Wavestation, etc but the included orchestral sounds (no matter what I do to them) always end up sounding like crappy imitations. None of them would be passable in a movie trailer. I use a VST compatible sequencer, but do not use Sibelius / Finale.

Thank you!

Re: EWQL Silver vs GPO for a producer new to orchestral sounds?

"no, instead I am looking for the expressive arco strings, string tremolos, brass swells, (i'm not good in my classical terminology) things you hear in soundtracks for action movies and such. Epic sounding orchestra.
    "

So go to Silver/Silver PRO XP directly.

It's not that i have something against GPO, it's a pretty good samples library, but more classical oriented, in my opinion

As JohnCarter said. GPO is definitely more classically based, and even then calmly classical. It's got a few great samples such as French Horn and Harp.
    But EWQLSO (you should look at Gold if possible) has fantastic sampling and a much broader range than GPO. It includes the softness of GPO plus any form of orchestra up to the power of Pirates of the Carribean.

Hope this helps

Keep away from EWQLSO SILVER EDITION!!!!
    Gold & Paltinum Editions are amazing, they sound so real and they are easy to program.
    Silver edition is totally different. It sounds fake because it has not some important articulations.
    I bought Silver Edition because it was cheap but I hated it and after a couple of months I upgraded to gold edition ..... that was another story!
    I think that, if you have some good programming skills, orchestral library shipped with Reason plays more realistic than EQWSO Silver Edition.
    I never used GPO but a lot of people seem to love it.

Yikes! I had just ordered Silver Edition!

I hope I didn't make a crucial mistake. I just heard that VSL comes with Kontakt which is selling for quite a reasonable price - damn.

I guess I'll just have to stay with Silver even if it's worse as you say. Ordering over the internet is hard to undo.

Relax Freakmod. There's loads you can do with Silver. Sure its not top end but for the price its great and it makes a nice laptop library.
    Trev Parks

Yeah I concur, Silver is still a force to be reckoned with. I've had it for years and never absolutely needed to upgrade; it has all the fundamental advantages of the full EWQL packages (fullness, blastiness, and effective blending), just with fewer articulations, fewer samples, and 16-bit. It also has a nice piano, choir, and organ that don't come with Gold, and some people actually prefer the Silver woodwinds over their Gold counterparts. If you wanna upgrade, it makes more sense to buy a second lib (like one of the VSL VIs, VSL opus-1, kirk hunter, etc.) that compensates for EWQL's shortcomings.

If you really need the verbiness of Gold, you can just take the oneshots (percussion, staccatos; stuff that don't sustain ) from Silver and extend their release trails. They truncated them severely for Silver, part b/c this lets you choose your own reverb plugin but also really b/c they wanna push Gold as the ambient library with release trails. Silver doesn't have release samples on the sustain instruments, but it'd be kinda ridiculous to actually edit reverb out of the oneshot samples themselves for Silver so they just turned down their release knob. Takes only a few minutes to fix it for the whole library.

(but Gold is overall better sounding and easier to use if you aren't going hardcore with mixing)
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Ok, I am relaxed now

Thanks everyone for all your comments and reassurance! I'll post what I think of Silver when it arrives - I'm pretty excited about it.

Will, thanks for the tip about the release knob.. sounds like a nice free fix

About the "release trails" stuff.. would running the Silver library through a high-quality reverb give the same effect as the Gold/Plat release trails have? It is only reverb, right?

Thanks again!

Stay cool! You can create some very good music with Silver. You won't regret it, but you will soon wannt to augment it with other libraries... That is the natural path of things in the sample world.

Keep in mind that Silver is a beginners library: You can do basic orchestral stuff (and most people won't ever need more), but if you wan to go on composing more complex stuff (i.e.: With special instrument effects, or e.g. Viola trills) you will have to go for more advanced libraries.

Also never forget that NOT the library decides the quality of the output (ok, certainly it does to a varying degree) but the human that is in front of it. I heard things pulled off with GPO that every Silver/Gold user would be proud of (This is just a humorous side-note to the holy crusades that rocked this forum not long ago). Same vice versa. It's you who is the ultimate instance in creating something good or bad.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Quote Originally Posted by freakmod
    About the "release trails" stuff.. would running the Silver library through a high-quality reverb give the same effect as the Gold/Plat release trails have? It is only reverb, right?
    Wellll... yes and no. Think about it like this - a Gold/Platinum sample will have reverb because it was recorded in a reverberant hall, right? Well, while reverb is obvious when the note finishes and you just hear the echoes of the hall, it was already there while the note was playing; you're hearing an ambient sustain. With release trails, you get the same reverberation/echoes/hall on the trail as you did on the sustain itself. Without them, it just sharply cuts off after you'd heard such an ambient sample.

When you add an additional reverb to Silver (same samples but without release trails), the resulting trail seems more natural but the sustain itself is now doubly reverbed. It sounds okay in practice, but still isn't quite as realistic as it would be if you just used the release trails. That and instruments in real life often don't release by simply fading out, so a sampled release trail captures that nuance as well.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Go Back to forum