• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Different Side of the Cello: Gofriller Cello Rocks!

Share/Bookmark

Cool A Different Side of the Cello: Gofriller Cello Rocks!

Here is the Gofriller Cello played in a different way than you may expect from samples of a rare 300 year old cello.

Robert has done a surprise demo in a rock/fusion style.

Get Down & Heavy with the Gofriller!
    http://www.garritan.com/Cello/GetDownCello.mp3

This is very different perspective the cello.

Some excellent writing, improv and playing by Robert. Thanks Robert for doing this.

Comments are welcome.

Gary Garritan

Re: A Different Side of the Cello: Gofriller Cello Rocks!

Wow! That was refreshing!

Never imagined the Gofriller in that kind of setting! That is very cool. The percussive nature of the spiccato attacks actually fit very well with this music. Thank you for giving me another way of thinking about this very (obviously) versatile instrument!!

Way to go Robert!!

Jerry

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

oooops nm

Funny this reminds me of a Prof I had in college. His main instrument was flute, but somewhere along his 30 years of teaching he took up bass guitar and eventually formed a "blues" band. The part that was unique is that he prefered and had much more interest in playing in his blues band over any form of art music(rarely listened to any classics, symphonic, or touched his flute). He simply had more fun playing bass lines in a blues band. Goes to show how much music can be such a personal preference.

THanks for the reply Jerry.
    Robert Davis

This brings up a question about both Gofriller and the Solo Strad instruments... the timbre in this piece is markedly different than the other demos I've heard. It sounds quite like an electric cello, and I think that's cool.

Was this done within the Gofriller instrument or was it done with external processing?

More important, at least for me for a current project, is there a way to get the solo strad to sound like your basic electric fiddle (e.g. Zeta)? None of the demos I've heard sounded much like an electric fiddle, and try as I might, with various filters, equalizers, distortion boxes, and compressors I've been unable to coax such a timbre from GPO solo violins.

Thoughts???

Thanks!

That IS COOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Mˇj Matka! (That's Polish for "Mama Mia!").

Molto cool... what a great sound!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae
    This brings up a question about both Gofriller and the Solo Strad instruments... the timbre in this piece is markedly different than the other demos I've heard. It sounds quite like an electric cello, and I think that's cool.

Was this done within the Gofriller instrument or was it done with external processing?

More important, at least for me for a current project, is there a way to get the solo strad to sound like your basic electric fiddle (e.g. Zeta)? None of the demos I've heard sounded much like an electric fiddle, and try as I might, with various filters, equalizers, distortion boxes, and compressors I've been unable to coax such a timbre from GPO solo violins.

Thoughts???

Thanks!
    It was done with the Grof cello.

The Timbre might be simply the use of a specific impulse as my goal was not for a "studio" sound but a "liveish" sound.(blues club impulse from perfect space in this case). Other then that only delay was added. I have found impulses to be great and they can drastically alter the timbre of something. I used to use alot of artificial reverbs with the orchestral stuff, however, I discovered once again the power of impulses(in this case a room not intended for orchestras to play in!) for specific things and have not gone back to the artificial reverbs since.
    Robert Davis

Sounds great! It blends wonderfully.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

What a fun piece. !!!

It really shows how versatile this instrument is.The spicatto attacks really come into their own here.!
    I am still trying to figure out how the Cellist would duck-walk across the stage.

regards Joe

That's great! Just needed to hear more ... MORE! MORE! MORE!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum