• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Tutorial: Understanding Rhythm

New Tutorial: Understanding Rhythm

I have recently completed an in-depth look at how rhythm works in music. Thie resulting tutorial should be helpful to composers and students, though it is not for the faint-hearted.

Find it at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terence...0Tutorial.html

and you can also see all my other tutorials at

Terry Dwyer

Re: New Tutorial: Understanding Rhythm

This is the first I've seen of your tutorials, and I think they're very nice. I very briefly flipped through some of the older ones, but will take a better look later.

For Understanding Rhythm, I'd like to add a couple of comments. First, you state that when deciding on the written meter earlier composers used larger note values for slower music and smaller for faster. I've found that very often the opposite was true. Composers such as CPE Bach, Scarlatti, and to some extent Haydn come to mind for me. A typical adagio movement seems more likely to be marked 2/4 (actually 4/8) and contain much in the way of 32nd notes, while an allegro will use quarters or halves for the beat. Perhaps this is what you were saying and I misunderstood?

The other comment has to do with what you write regarding the 5/4 meter. I must say I do disagree with the notion that 2+3 is "incorrectly barred." Rebarring the Tchaikovsky passage you cited by shifting the barlines over two beats would not make sense at all when taking into account the beginnings and endings of the phrases. Moreover, the opening bars of the movement have shifting division every other measure: (3+2)+(2+3), which does not seem resolvable according to your rules. Even if you do not hear the division this way, I'm sure you agree that a piece *could* be written with this pulse. What then?

I apologize if this seems nit-picky. Overall, I do think this is an excellent tutorial.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

A REALLY GREAT TUTORIAL on Rhythm. Well narrated and graphically explained. Thank you for doing this for all of us, either as a review or as a first-time run through.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Orcas Island

What a terrific group of tutorials you did on Rhythm. An excellent treatment of Time Signatures, Accents and Meter, Ssort notes-tuplets and cross rhythms, and phrase construction. We well articulated and the integration with online scorch examples allow learners to see the score while hearing it. Well-writtena and a very good choice of examples.

This is a real benefit to anyone who wants to learn more about rhythm.

Thanks very much for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: New Tutorial: Understanding Rhythm

Extremely useful tutorial which opens a whole new way of looking on rhythm. Thank you professor Dwyer!

Not only the rhythm tutorial but many others tutorials are extremely useful and a great complement to the principles of orchestration on line course .

Thank a lot for making available this wonderful teaching work

Hi being new to this forum first of all I would like to thank you all for existing!
    I was wondering whether you could address me towards easier tutorials that eventually I can relate to these fantastic ones! Thank you very much indeed!

Go Back to forum