• Register
  • Help

Topic: Nocturne for Alto Flute, Viola and Harp (redux)

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Nocturne for Alto Flute, Viola and Harp (redux)

Back in January, when I first began exploring my new toy called "GPO" I was inspired to write this little Nocturne for Alto Flute, Viola and Harp....

Since that time, I've learned some tricks in Finale 2006, and started marking my scores more carefully to get better results for Human Playback. Also, time has a way of suggesting some spots that need "tweaking" in a score - there were some places where I felt the piece didn't quite feel right... mostly phrasing, dynamics and a few notes that needed lengthening or shortening.

So, for better or worse, here's the revised version - hope you all enjoy it!

http://evensongmusic.net/audio/NocturneRev.mp3

If you want to compare, the old version is HERE

Enjoy!

Re: Nocturne for Alto Flute, Viola and Harp (redux)

A handsomely contemplative meditation, Jonathan;
    well-suited reverie for the fine New England evening
    in which I listen.

I liked the original version as well (still do, on a
    relisten, now); but the added nuances do create an
    added dimension of subtlety and expression in the
    piece.

Think I'll leave this looping for a while... definitely
    fine night music, my friend!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jon,
    An enjoyable piece of night music. The combination of instruments is very interesting works quite well. As always, a superb rendering and interpretation.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    A handsomely contemplative meditation, Jonathan;
    well-suited reverie for the fine New England evening
    in which I listen.

I liked the original version as well (still do, on a
    relisten, now); but the added nuances do create an
    added dimension of subtlety and expression in the
    piece.

Think I'll leave this looping for a while... definitely
    fine night music, my friend!

David
    Thanks, David!

I really like this version better (and I didn't hate the old one, BTW)

Glad to provide some relaxation for you on a nice summer evening!

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Jon,
    An enjoyable piece of night music. The combination of instruments is very interesting works quite well. As always, a superb rendering and interpretation.
    Bill
    Thanks, Bill!

This piece was venturing out into uncharted waters for me - I'd never written in this style nor for this combination of instruments, Sometimes trying something new and forcing oneself within narrow parameters has interesting results!

Glad you liked it

Jonathan:

You really learned how to play with your toys......

A lovely, creative piece with good melodic phrases and (in my opinion) an Oriental flavor. As David said, "It is a meditative treat." Really great, great harp scoring and the individuality of the instruments are so well-defined for a notation program.

A WOW revision........Absolutely terrific, Jon......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Jonathan:

You really learned how to play with your toys......

A lovely, creative piece with good melodic phrases and (in my opinion) an Oriental flavor. As David said, "It is a meditative treat." Really great, great harp scoring and the individuality of the instruments are so well-defined for a notation program.

A WOW revision........Absolutely terrific, Jon......

Jack
    Thanks, Jack...

I didn't try to emulate the French Impressionists and their love of things Oriental, but I think somehow it crept into this rendition LOL

~~

Really, I'd encourage folks to pick an unfamiliar instrument or group of instruments and attempt to write something - I know I alluded to this earlier, but it really DOES help one think differently, and you never know what will come of it!

Beautiful work! Oh, that harp is remarkable! Awesome work with this. I must admit, I did not hear the original, so I am hearing this for the first time... and I love it! You'll of course have to redo it once more when the sonic morphing viola comes out... But it sounds wonderful already, it really evokes wonderful images in my head of a calm warm blue night... how relaxing! I'll keep this on my computer for sure. Great work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Beautiful work! Oh, that harp is remarkable! Awesome work with this. I must admit, I did not hear the original, so I am hearing this for the first time... and I love it! You'll of course have to redo it once more when the sonic morphing viola comes out... But it sounds wonderful already, it really evokes wonderful images in my head of a calm warm blue night... how relaxing! I'll keep this on my computer for sure. Great work!
    Thanks for the nice words, Sean - glad you liked it!

Like so many others, I am sure I will have to re-do a lot of stuff when the sonic morphing versions come out (and GPOA, whenever THAT shows up...)

For now, I'm pretty satisfied with how this turned out, though.

Go Back to forum