• Register
  • Help

Topic: Concerto for Clarinet and String Orchestra 3rd Mov't

Concerto for Clarinet and String Orchestra 3rd Mov't

Hi all. I have been enjoying the music posted here as well as the level of musical repartee on this forum.

I recently composed a concerto for clarinet and string orchestra and am looking for some constructive feedback and criticism. These days, I seem to have a split personality when it comes to composition producing either tonal, neo-romantic types of pieces or dissonant, astringent pieces. Go figure.

This piece belongs to the former category. It reminds me of Finzi, Howells, and other mid century British composers--for whom I seem to have an affinity. The unrelated theme near the end is from the opening of the first movement. I am posting the last movement -- you can hear the other two on the same site if you wish.

Please let me know if you hear distortion in the file.

Many thanks for taking the time to listen!

Re: Concerto for Clarinet and String Orchestra 3rd Mov't

Hi John,
    I would vary the texture of background more: one player-two, etc.; vary the rhythm in each of the three major sections; don't use tutti background most of the time; offer relief for soloist by featuring a viola or cello solo in low register; have a clearer ending for each section; perhaps choose a different clarinet sound, but that's personal choice.
    Six minutes may be a bit long for one movement: think of the length of the Mozart, Weber, and Brahms.

Nice writing in this, John... I like the rhythmic
    play in the first part -- and a really delightful
    piece, overall. Great job on the composition

Something with the mix -- to me, the clarinet
    often sounds too far "in front", at other times
    thin in registers where a clarinet is actually
    quite strong... and seems to lack a certain
    life, as though the strings were heavily treated,
    but the clarinet left dry. The strings likewise
    sound as though they've been treated with
    a layer of chorus, perhaps?

Is it possible this is an artifact of the recording
    process, John? There seems to be a low level
    hint of distortion, almost a haze... are you doing
    anything unusual in that area?

All my best,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and to provide feedback-- it's much appreciated.

I am not sure what is causing the problem--although I do hear it. I do like the quality of the sample of the clarinet--in certain registers. The chalumeau register sounds good to my ears, but the high altissimo register at times doesn't cut it for me. I was also trying to emulate a certain style of British clarinet playing which is very legato and possesses a unique colour in certain tessitura. Much of the clarinet writing is quite high for the instrument, and I wanted a specific sonority.

I will fiddle with the file and see if I can make it sound more presentable.

Thanks again for the info!

Hi John,

I visited your site on Terminus just to confirm which tools you were using for composing. It appears that you are not using any Garritan libraries in the production of your music (music which is very nicely done, by the way.) This is, of course, all well and good since everyone has different tastes and opinions about the tools they choose to use but, as others have politely pointed out, the Garritan forum exists as a place for Garritan users to exhibit the fruits of their labors using Garritan products. You are free to post demos made other libraries so long as they are used in combination with Garritan products. Mix them together in any way you like. On the other hand, we, quite understandably, ask that Garritan products be present in some part of the compositional and mixing process when music is posted on this site. Since others had pointed this out in your previous Listening Room threads we had hoped you would take note and either refrain from further posts that did not include GOS, GPO, Strad and/or JABB, or wait until such time as your palette of sounds did include one of these libraries. We would love to have you as a customer and a member of our thriving online community – as you have probably noticed, we have one of the best, most helpful and generous groups of people to be found anywhere – but please respect the purpose of the Garritan forum. Just to be clear: This applies only to the posting of your non-Garritan produced music, not your participation in the various threads. Feel free to take part in any discussions in the Garritan section.

Keep in mind that you could certainly post your music in the main (non-Garritan) section of Northernsounds. Most of the same people are present in that “neutral” territory. Perhaps there is also a Notion forum designed for the posting of user compositions that could serve as an outlet for your music. Thanks for your consideration.

Go Back to forum