• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any Linux users here?

Share/Bookmark

Any Linux users here?

I'm thinking about adding Linux to my system. I have no particular reason for doing it except that I'm a geek and I've been curious about it for a while.

I doubt I'll ever want to make a full switch, as I have SO MUCH software for Windows XP and I would hate to lose all of my functionality. Linux has a lot of great open source software, but most of the stuff I would want (OpenOffice, Audacity, etc.) is already ported over to XP.

So what benefits would I get for adding Linux to my system? I know it's leaner and more stable than Windows, but is there anything cool that I could do in Linux that I couldn't do in Windows? I'm particularly interested in music/audio, but I'd be open to hearing about any other cool stuff.

Thanks,

Re: Any Linux users here?

Well, is probable that you will enjoy testing some audio applications that are running under Linux, but i cant say that you will be able to do something extra, that you cant under windows. If you want satisfy your curiousity only, you can download a "live cd" and without install it, run it when your computer boot. You can play inside there and see if you want install later. There are lot of distros out there, but i like "agnula" and "musix linux" (google them). Both have "live cd`s" version that can be download for free (a big 600 mb iso image) you need to burn to a cd first.

Well, luck!
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    is there anything cool that I could do in Linux that I couldn't do in Windows?
    Maybe the things related to Agnula and Jack, with their low latency and sophisticate routing. But I'm not totally sure there is no equivalent on Windows.

Paolo

As with so many topics here, the real answer is "It depends!"

In this case, it depends on what you want to do... if you are at all interested in some of the stuff going on in the academic extremes of the music world then Linux is an excellent alternative. While C-Sound and even Keykit have been ported to Windows, there are still some tools, especially in the area of algorithmic composition, that exist soley in the *nix universe.

I have a linux machine in the studio, and I play with it from time to time, but lately it seems to get used more for unix development. About the only tool that I really really really really really want, that is not available on Windows, is "M", an algorithmic composition tool that I used to use on the Amiga. Now what I really ought to do is either resurrect my old Amiga and put it into the studio (this requires a rather pricey ethernet card, which I just haven't been able to justify yet) or, spend the time to create the image necessary to run "M" under an Amiga emulator on windows.

In addition to the Angula and Musix distributions, you may want to wander over to CCRMA. They have a site devoted to music software under Linux. They do not provide a live-CD installation, but when you are ready to make the plunge they do have everything you need to install darned near everything you can imagine.

The installation has worked for me, without a hitch, on several machines including an HP laptop, a Dell laptop, and two Dell desktops, not to mention my own homebrew machines.

There are some driver limitations. My main audio interface is the Frontier Dakota, and it is not supported, so I had to install an M-Audio card to get my spare machine to work.

Another alternative, and one that fascinates me, is to use a virtualization tool (I've tried both Parallels and VMWare), to create a Linux virtual machine on your windows machine. This requires a LOT of physical memory, but it actually works... which amazes me!

I'd say go for it. If you are only peeking then install it as an alternate boot on your machine, or use the LiveCD approach. If you get hooked you can build a very respectable linux machine for next to nothing.

Have fun, and report back...

Bill

PS- there is a small part of me that would love to be able to run my entire studio on Linux. Not sure why really, maybe just to say I do? The problem is, when I am in the studio I try to stay in musician mode, and I already know how to use Sonar, Finale, Wavelab, SoundForge, and all my various plugins. Learning a new set of tools at the same level is more work than I care to do at the moment, or rather work in a direction that I really don't have time to devote.

There is also the financial angle, and I don't know how much that impacts my decision. It might be rather heartbreaking to see all the money I've invested in my software tools suddenly go down the drain. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is one of the obstacles<G>!

I have been an avid user of Linux. I have tried RedHat, Fedora, Gentoo, Linspire, Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Fox, Freespire, Kubuntu, Open Suse, and Likos Archi. I can tell you that it is an excellent system but needs more commercial support. I found that Ubuntu Dapper Drake works better with my hardware than Windows does (but Likos Archi runs the best on my hardware). If you are looking for some cool things you can do in Linux that you can't in Windows, take a look at some of those daemons such as Apache, Postfix, ProFTPd, UnrealIRCd, etc. Of course these also have smaller, slower windows counterparts but are a whole lot of fun on Linux. Firefox and OpenOffice run a whole lot better in Linux too as a small note. But if you are looking for interesting eye candy, get a distro with the GNOME window manager and run XGL/Compiz on it. I love this effect so much, using other systems just seems to be less natural to me.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I'm thinking about adding Linux to my system. I have no particular reason for doing it except that I'm a geek and I've been curious about it for a while.

I doubt I'll ever want to make a full switch, as I have SO MUCH software for Windows XP and I would hate to lose all of my functionality. Linux has a lot of great open source software, but most of the stuff I would want (OpenOffice, Audacity, etc.) is already ported over to XP.

So what benefits would I get for adding Linux to my system? I know it's leaner and more stable than Windows, but is there anything cool that I could do in Linux that I couldn't do in Windows? I'm particularly interested in music/audio, but I'd be open to hearing about any other cool stuff.

Thanks,
    I use Ubuntu 6.0.6 on an old Pentium III--same reason as you--chronic geekitis--SMOOTH AS SILK!! Only glitch was with wireless adapter, but I found a 5-minute fix. Also have it as a dual boot on a P4 portable--no problem with the dual boot, either.
    I was surprised how much audio stuff was available. If you're into notation, Lilypond is "interesting and different," but isn't geared for playback. You can nab lotsa scores in ABC or LY format, and there is an ABC to LY converter.

For me, there isn't anything that Linux does that XP can't, but I'm finding that Linux does it perhaps more stability at a cost defined only by the value of my time.

Jim
    Give it a shot
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Question: Is there a Linux sequencer that could grow to Cubase usability in the future?
    Cheers Matt

Well, the strong boys of linux audio distros are Ardour, and Rosegarden. Very powerfull both. And there exists nice promising projects that are growing in very powerfull apps. like wired.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum