• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scaling the Fridge

Scaling the Fridge

So I couldn't help but to post this one. I was looking through my music and found this piece I wrote last year. It was a commission by the Lexington Children's Theatre in Lexington, KY, for a show called "If you give a mouse a cookie...". Based on the children's book by the same name.

The director called me a week before the show opened and asked if I would write some music. Naively I said, "YEAH, SURE, why not?". I basically had 5 days to score what turned out to be a little over 10 minutes of cartoon music. The only problem was that it had to be done exactly as if I were scoring a cartoon. The scenes had been choreographed already, so I basically had to go in and watch a rehearsal, do a spotting session (which is were you decide the appropriate places for music), time every sentence so that it could be tailor fit, write, orchestrate and record everything in 5 days. Ninety-six hours of writing later (I had little sleep that week) I was done. PHEW!

So anyway, this is a scene from that project.

Let me set it up for you:

This is a scene where the mischievious mouse decides to scale the refrigerator to hang a picture he has just drawn. He begins by piling boxes, one on top of the other. He gets his handy-schmandy grapeling hook, throws it over and begins to climb. He places the picture on the fridge, but slips and falls, leaving him hanging on the handle of the refrigerator. Just as he falls the little boy walks in to find him in yet another predicament.

It's nothing spectacular, but it is cute. I had to use a small ensemble so as to not take away too much from the actor's dialogue. But everything worked out perfectly and I didn't have to touch a note, it fit perfectly. The performances were great and the kids cheered the mouse on as the music played. The director loved it and I enjoyed the $300 bucks extra on my already hefty commission check for all the hard work

Hope you enjoy. Thanks for listening.

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Re: Scaling the Fridge

This is really cleaver writing. Of course it is a special gift to write music that has to be synchronized with an existing set of events. Very nice orchestration too. I can see why the kids loved it.

Hi Chris,

Very enjoyable! It does seem to fit extremely well with the visuals as you describe. Nice orchestration - well done!

Chris, this came out great!

Delightful writing, perfect for the scene, I think.

By the way, I haven't forgotten your score;
    my apologies, I've been buried lately, Chris!
    I will get to it.

My best,

Go Back to forum