• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tab Slide Tool (Finale/GPO) question

Share/Bookmark

Question Tab Slide Tool (Finale/GPO) question

I wish to use portament/glissando in Finale/GPO combination. I have heard that the Tab Slide Tool in Smart Shape function in Finale can be used for the
    purpose (and it should work fine).

I tried the following score for experiment (GPO violin sus+short).

But what I hear was like this:

http://jun.music.coocan.jp/music/slide.mp3

Something must be wrong. The "slide" is not enough and does not reach the
    pitch the score intends. Finale version is 2005b and GPO is latest updated (1.1.8.003).

I have done the same trial with a sound module (Roland SC-88) and it worked fine. So that I think this is a specific problem of my GPO.

I have generated a MIDI file by Finale, looked into it by SONAR and found Pitch Bend Sensitivity (value 1536) and Pitch Bend control (half tone=681) data correctly output. Again, this setting works fine with SC-88.

So if I can change "Pitch Bend Sensitivity Sensitivity(?)" of GPO(Kontakt) somehow, I think the problem can be solved.

Any suggestions or advices will be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: Tab Slide Tool (Finale/GPO) question

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto
    So if I can change "Pitch Bend Sensitivity Sensitivity(?)" of GPO(Kontakt) somehow, I think the problem can be solved.
    Jun,

The GPO Kontakt player does not have the ability to change pitchbend sensitivity. It's an inherent limitation in the NI player. Only if you have the full version of Kontakt 1.5 can you edit the programming to make this change.

The good news is that the K2 player will have the ability to adjust PB range. Both GPO and JABB will migrate to the new player but we are unsure of when.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The GPO Kontakt player does not have the ability to change pitchbend sensitivity. It's an inherent limitation in the NI player. Only if you have the full version of Kontakt 1.5 can you edit the programming to make this change.
    Tom, thank you very much for your comment.

I understand the limitation of NI player.

I heard, from a very sure source, that the Tab Slide Tool worked fine in the Finale/GPO combination so I wonder why not in my environment.

One more interesting thing is that if I run the same Finale file in Finale 2006 demo version, surprisingly the starting notes are higher than the intention and end up with the correct pitch of the second notes. How strange.

Anyway, I wish Finale 2007 works well with GPO.

By the way, I think GPO comes with Finale 2007 should be limited in sound variety. Can I, as an owner of original GPO, extend such limitation to the full line of GPO sound variety? If anyone let me know, I would very much appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Jun,

You need to use the Notation instruments when working with Finale. Then the slides will play back correctly. There is no need to purchase the full version of Kontakt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad
    Jun,

You need to use the Notation instruments when working with Finale. Then the slides will play back correctly. There is no need to purchase the full version of Kontakt.
    Thank you very much for your advice, Thad.

Does it mean that Tab Slide does not work properly in the combination of Finale (2005 or 2006) and Non-Notation instruments of GPO anyway?

If so, I have to buy Finale 2006 (or 2007) for the proper function of Tab Slide tool (or glissando tool). The situation is very clear.

Because I know the updated GPO contains Notation instruments, which won't open until Finale 2006 is installed. (Finale 2006 demo cannot open it.)

Thank you very much. That piece of information was very important to me.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Jun,

You can choose to install the notation instruments regardless of what notation software you have, but the notation instruments only work correctly with Human Playback in Finale 2006 or higher.

Jun,

You can choose to install the notation instruments regardless of what notation software you have, but the notation instruments only work correctly with Human Playback in Finale 2006 or higher.
    Thank you. Understood.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Jun,

On a side note, if you upgrade to 2007, HP automatically changes keyswitches just by putting in an expression. You do not need to use the "dump" expressions that were required in 2005. HP just sees the word "pizz." or "mute" and changes to that keyswitch.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Jun,

On a side note, if you upgrade to 2007, HP automatically changes keyswitches just by putting in an expression. You do not need to use the "dump" expressions that were required in 2005. HP just sees the word "pizz." or "mute" and changes to that keyswitch.
    Just so we're clear, this was true of Fin2006 as well. In Fin2007, automatic keyswitch support has been added for JABB mutes.

Just so we're clear, this was true of Fin2006 as well. In Fin2007, automatic keyswitch support has been added for JABB mutes.
    Jeff and Thad,

Thank you very much for both of your kind information. I will upgrade to Finale 2007 after I check the demo version will run ok in my environment.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Go Back to forum