• Register
  • Help

Topic: Western music

Western music (something I wrote)

I recently wrote a piece in the style of the 70s westerns. I've always been a big fan of their grand, epic, and generally fun styles.

I used Cakewalk SONAR for sequencing, and EWQLSO for the sound.

Tell me what you think
    Last edited by Tanhithion; 08-20-2006 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Forgot full title.

Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA

Re: Western music

Nice composition and arangement!

It could benefit from more short term dynamics within the parts in my opinion.
    As an example ... the pulsing violins in the beginning ... if all of the notes weren't so close in their velocities it would give the string section there more feeling.

The horns, the fast repeated notes, sound programmed to me. Probably the same dynamic trick would loosen them up a bit and give them more feeling.

I'd bring the strings out front on that section and let the melody shine and put the brass in the back as a supporting section for the melody.
    It seemed to get there near the end of that section.

The fast note turns on the strings 0:35 to 0:38 sound programmed also.
    Once again probably short term dynamics might make that sound more real.
    Also consider note lengths within those fast turns.

The transition into the quiet section is a bit undefined. Possibly a cymbal swell could make it happen.

There's a bit of that sucking sound in the violins in the quiet section.
    Checking the ends of the notes in relation to the beginning of the next note can fix that.

Coming back into the strong section at the end could be more powerfull, possibly a volume drop in the quiet section and then a volume rise all the way to the end could get that.

All in all I think it's a great composition. All it lacks, in my opinion, is more dynamics, human feel, initially within each instruments performance, and then finally as a whole orchestra under the baton of a masterful conductor.*

*1 bus ( controlling the whole orcestra ) and 1 bus volume envelope can do wonders for the dynamics of the whole performance.

Okay. Thanks for the review, Steve_Karl I'll make note of those suggestions. Still learning exactly how to use mod wheel (both volume and DXF) to affect the emotion. I think that'd fix 90% of what you just mentioned.

Very Nice!
    Do you know Elmer Bernstein? (If not you MUST listen to his works)
    Your piece reminds me of him a bit.

Keep up the good work!!!

That's very cool! I love the brass!!

I agree with the fast violins in the beginning sounding mechanical. Some touching up and fixing can make this a very realistic piece!

Thumbs up Re: Western music

Great writing, Tanhithion!

Nice measured tremolos in the strings at the end. May I ask which Gold instruments you used for them. I assume you doubled the notes in the key editor?

That does sound like a lot of fun to do.... Very Coplandesque...
    I like it a lot!

Go Back to forum