• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Images of Bude (4)

Share/Bookmark

Images of Bude (4)

Hi, here is the last 'movement' of a set of 4 sketches of the seaside town of Bude in North Cornwall. I'm stll working on the set and this particular sketch is the result of only a few hours work - so there's room for improvement! All GPO. Any feedback gratefully received please.

see www.myspace.com/grahamkeitch

Thanks, Graham

Re: Images of Bude (4)

Graham,

Sorry for not comenting on the music - I haven't listened yet - but I had to share a coincidence of your post and my weekend:

Being at a loose end, me and my wife decided to drive down to Bude on Saturday lunchtime - jsut to go for dinner at the Falcon hotel. We stopped overnight at the Brendan arms, and were back in the Midlands at 2pm today (sunday).

An Excellent Weekend!

Now I wil listen to your music
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Graham,

Sorry for not comenting on the music - I haven't listened yet - but I had to share a coincidence of your post and my weekend:

Being at a loose end, me and my wife decided to drive down to Bude on Saturday lunchtime - jsut to go for dinner at the Falcon hotel. We stopped overnight at the Brendan arms, and were back in the Midlands at 2pm today (sunday).

An Excellent Weekend!

Now I wil listen to your music
    Hi Richard, thanks and glad you've had a great weekend.

Drat and blast!!! I've just had to remove the file. It was playing fine a few moments ago - but when I tried again, it was so faint I couldn't hear a thing. Deleted and tried reloading and I now I'm getting 'technical error'. I'll give it another go.

Graham

I had to boost system volume for this; it is a bit
    low -- but glad I got to hear it.

What lovely work... I found this a very moving,
    Graham, and spoken in a highly individual, clear
    voice. The string work in it is especially well
    done... and the careful orchestral blending did
    not escape my notice.

I've listened through this several times, now.
    This is excellent work. I am very much looking
    forward to hearing the finished work, Graham.

With my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Post Scriptum:
    Careful of your bass balance...

Graham,

Nice work, peaceful, very enjoyable to listen to. You have put a lot of work into creating a very sensitive piece and it shows. Great use of the GPO throughout.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    I had to boost system volume for this; it is a bit
    low -- but glad I got to hear it.

What lovely work... I found this a very moving,
    Graham, and spoken in a highly individual, clear
    voice. The string work in it is especially well
    done... and the careful orchestral blending did
    not escape my notice.

I've listened through this several times, now.
    This is excellent work. I am very much looking
    forward to hearing the finished work, Graham.

With my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Post Scriptum:
    Careful of your bass balance...

Thanks David, I'm very pleased you have listened.

And thanks for the comments, I'll take the bass back a bit. I thought it might be a bit too low on vol. To get the strings to sound warm and lush, I've taken the base velocity right down - and that has resulted in the volume dropping. Again, that's easily fixed. I'll work on it David. Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Graham,

Nice work, peaceful, very enjoyable to listen to. You have put a lot of work into creating a very sensitive piece and it shows. Great use of the GPO throughout.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thank you Gary. I appreciate your comments. This particular sketch is an attempt to capture the beauty of the sun setting over the broad landscape of the sea - with a hint of sadness that a great day is ending.

Regards, Graham

Lovely work Graham.
    This certainly has an English pastoral vibe to it, and a very refined sense of delicacy. It sounds golden and melancholic at the same time, which is a particularly "English" combination.

The final tymp and cymbals hit sound a little bit "OTT" to me. Did you consider a more gentle fading end, rather than this explosive one. ?

This minor quibble aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this well-crafted and moving music.

Excellent work. !

regards Joe

Quite lovely - beautifully realized, as well. I agree the ending has more energy than I was expecting, but perhaps this will make more sense in the context of the other movements.

Many years ago, my wife and I spent an evening in Bude. We both had colds, but still found it beautiful. I imagine it's even nicer when you feel 100%!

Really enjoyed this piece!

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Lovely work Graham.

The final tymp and cymbals hit sound a little bit "OTT" to me. Did you consider a more gentle fading end, rather than this explosive one. ?

This minor quibble aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this well-crafted and moving music.

Excellent work. !

regards Joe
    Hi Joe, thanks for listening. You're absolutely right - that cymbal crash shouldn't be there! I intended a gentle sustained roll (a sort of shimmer) but I haven't mastered that. So until I do, it's best left out.

Regards, Graham

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast