• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aaaargh Help!!

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Aaaargh Help!!

Hi everyone.

GPO is extremely frustrating. I cannot figure out how the hell you change a program, say if I want a violin legato passage then a pizzicato passage. I have been trying for so long it's so damn exhausting.

With Miroslav Vitous it's easy, you just load up in Halion and just put the program change for the articulation you want (i.e. Program 16 violin tremolo). But this seems eutopia in Garritan!!!

I usually load up a midi orchestration and edit things from there on. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use this no matter what I do. Please help I'm at a loss.

Re: Aaaargh Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Grimaldi
    Hi everyone.

GPO is extremely frustrating. I cannot figure out how the hell you change a program, say if I want a violin legato passage then a pizzicato passage. I have been trying for so long it's so damn exhausting.

With Miroslav Vitous it's easy, you just load up in Halion and just put the program change for the articulation you want (i.e. Program 16 violin tremolo). But this seems eutopia in Garritan!!!

I usually load up a midi orchestration and edit things from there on. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use this no matter what I do. Please help I'm at a loss.
    Hi Antonio,

it is very easy to switch from legato to pizzicato in GPO. As long as one has had a look into the documentation, cough ...

Generally the full octave (from C to C) below the instruments range is used for changing the articulation sample. That is called "keyswitch".

For strings the C switches to legato, the F to pizzicato. Look at page 18 of the documentation pdf.

You can play these keyswitches either by hand on your keyboard or have a sequencer play it ... or adjust them to the "pizz" and "arco" in a notation program. The better programs even have presets for that.

Hope that helps

Hannes

Thumbs down Re: Aaaargh Help!!

thanks for your reply, the manual didn't really help though. I've known about keyswitches the only thing I can only see them in the ensembles (like Violin KS etc) as they are orange coloured. I pick something like Solo violin or Viola and there are no keyswitches present on the whole keyboard. I even tried singly pressing the keys out of the instruments range to see if anything happened but nothing.

The only way I can see of fixing this is using banks on kontakt full version so I can affect program changes in MIDI.

Thanks again, I hope you or someone knows of a better solution.

GPO doesn't use keyswitches for many of the instruments except the string ensembles. Going from legato to staccato is usually done by amount of attack (velocity) and length of notes. For a staccato note - play a quick note with high velocity. For legato - hold note out and and adjust attack amount by the velocity of the note.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Grimaldi
    thanks for your reply, the manual didn't really help though. I've known about keyswitches the only thing I can only see them in the ensembles (like Violin KS etc) as they are orange coloured. I pick something like Solo violin or Viola and there are no keyswitches present on the whole keyboard.
    Clearly, you need to choose the "KS" versions of the Solo Violins. They are there. All of the solo strings come in keyswitched varieties, you just have to be sure to load the correct instrument.

Go Back to forum