• Register
  • Help

Topic: Re-orientation for a GigaStudio piano samples user

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Re-orientation for a GigaStudio piano samples user

Hi

I have been away from the music making and piano sampling scene for about 2 years. I will appreciate it very much if someone could help me catch up with what happened in the past 2 years.

I had GigaStudio 2.5 running on XP and I used and enjoyed using the following piano sample libraries. EastWest Bosendorfer 275, EastWest Steinway B, Trachman Steinway C (spelling?), and the Bosendorfer 290 piano that runs as a VST (I forgot the name now). It was a great time when PC software sampling was made possible and piano samples libraries flourished, with mp3 samples available over the internet.

So I would like to know if there are any good sample libraries introduced since then? I most use the libraries for new-age type of music. How are sampling products? I know there is GS3 now but is there anything new and good?

Thanks,
    Respho
    Last edited by respho; 08-21-2006 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Spelling

Arrow Re: Re-orientation for a GigaStudio piano samples user

Everyone has their oponion on this topic and you only know what you like after you buy it. I have had good luck as there are many good choices. too bad you can't audition them better b4 purchasing. I happen to dislike the GS3 piano's sound, but love the built in string resonanation made for it. So I use Gigapulse string model with Vintaudio's Yamaha Grand and Upright libraries. The upright piano library is a must if you are playing R & B, or solo blues, as it sounds like you are sitting on the bench. Plus I hate the sound of a grand piano being destroyed with chorus and pitch shifting just to make it sound so un-classical. It's much better to have a sample of a real honky tonk upright. I always wondered if people actually like those presets which say honky tonk. They all sound like ~~~~ to me.

JV

Re: Re-orientation for a GigaStudio piano samples user

Vintaudio, PMI and Sampletek all have nice d-e-e-p-l-y sampled pianos these days. Many use the resonance model, and can benefit from GigaPulse ambience in general.

Which piano to choose? Well, that's a matter of taste. I also like the upright, but it wouldn't be my first choice for new age.

I wouldn't limit myself to just Gigastudio piano libs these days.
    It's not a Gigastudio piano library but for a piano with a lot of character check out Art Vista's Virtual Grand Piano.

Also there is Ivory and many others.

At least PMI and SampleTekk provide playable demos that you can download from their internet sites. That's way better than comparing mp3s!

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    I wouldn't limit myself to just Gigastudio piano libs these days.
    It's not a Gigastudio piano library but for a piano with a lot of character check out Art Vista's Virtual Grand Piano.
    Yea, Art Vista's Virtual Grand is very good. I play a lot of classical, plus some rock and pop, and it has presets for all of these, plus gospel, jazz, special effects like phaser, flanger, chorus, delay. It also has settings for light, medium and heavy dynamics, to match up with the dynamics produced by your keyboard.

I recently tried using the Virtual Grand's rock setting for playing a piano transcription of Beethoven's 5th. I now like it for classical more then the classical setting. It seems to have more punch, which fits my style of playing better, even when I play classical.

Art Vista includes its own standalone player, based on Kompakt, or you can use it with Kontakt.

My favorites are the Ivory Steinway and the Art Vista Virtual Grand - again a Steinway.

Jim

Go Back to forum