• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garage Band Jam Pack 4

Share/Bookmark

Garage Band Jam Pack 4

I was just wanting to get some opinions on this. I have the Finale version of GPO, and I really want to get some more samples, and I've been looking at EWQL silver, but I found this, and at $99, it appealed to my relatively thin wallet. But at the same time, it's hard for me to believe that a library that cheap would be any good. Do any of you use it? How does it compare to EW silver? Is it better than Finale GPO? Also, what format are they? Can you use them in anything besides Garage Band or Logic? I'd appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks,

Joseph

Re: Garage Band Jam Pack 4

While it does have some interesting sounds, it is not anywhere near GPO or EWQL. You get what ya pay for

Peace

rikp

With all due respect, the GarageBand JamPack 4 samples come from VSL, and this fact is clearly audible, but GPO has more instruments (the Alto Flute, for example) NOT included in JP4 (but with JP4 you get lots of orchestral Apple Loops).

Trivial to say, but a valid musician can get great results from any of the mentioned libraries. Listen, for example, what Kentaro Sato gets from GPO and what Jay Bacal gets from VSL (Opus 1).

(I don't use EWQL, sorry, but it sounds great too).

Well, what about articulations? That's really what I'm looking for. I have Arco, pizzicato, and tremelo strings, but other than that, I am very limited in the string section. I have a feeling JP4 doesn't have a lot of articulations, but what about EWQL Silver? Do you think the articulations included would fill the gaps in Finale GPO?

You know, I've had the Jam Pack 4 Orch on my Macbook for a while and never really played with it. Just for kicks I filled up and orch template with it, and I have to say some of it is really good. They've got some great keyswitch patches on the strings - the modwheel switches from legato, stacatto, trem, whole trill, half trill, and pizz all in one patch and you use the pitch wheel for expression. You can get some really decent stuff out of it - the violins, violas, and cellos sound really good, the basses are a little weak. The woodwinds again are pretty fine. The brass is probably the weakest - I AB'd against some SAM and Sonic Implants and it's not quite as good, but for a portable mock-up thing, pretty good. The full perc patch is great, harp is good, timps are passable. Again, I'm pretty amazed at how good it is and little RAM you need. Try it with the AU Matrix Reverb and it sounds really good - you need a decent verb cause there are no release trails. I think the thing it's lacking the most is string FX and things like that that you find in the bigger libraries but I've also got GPO and Silver (along with Gold, VSL, Sonic Implants) and it compares well to the first two. And you don't have to deal with Kompakt.

I've never messed with the loops - can't really understand how someone could use orchestral loops....

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by donimon
    I've never messed with the loops - can't really understand how someone could use orchestral loops....
    You mean... like 'The Verve' with 'Bittersweet Symphony'?

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Try it with the AU Matrix Reverb and it sounds really good - you need a decent verb cause there are no release trails. -Jeff
    Thanks for the tip on the AU Matrix Reverb! I never even knew this plugin was in Logic, and boy does it sound great with far less CPU than Space Designer! THANKS!!

Makes me wonder what other apple plugins I've been missing out on!

edit: found a great thread with TONS of presets for the matrix reverb if anyone is interested: http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/...ic.php?t=18237

I've never messed with the loops - can't really understand how someone could use orchestral loops
    If you haven't anything better to use or invent, AL work fine right out-of-the-box...

(100% made with Apple Loops; the cathedral-like reverb is embedded in the Loops...)

Go Back to forum