• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VSL VI Orchestral STGS 1 or CHAMBER?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation VSL VI Orchestral STGS 1 or CHAMBER?

Hi Guys,
    I'm a little confused,I know there's been other threads, but still have'nt really made a decision with the info given...not sure which way to go... I guess like most of us who make purchases for sample libraries from time to time.

I need some advice from users of these libraries mentioned below. I am getting conflicting advice on other forums as to whether I should first buy the Orchestral 1 ( full) or Chamber ( full vers) in the VSL VI range. My music is a cross of Josh Groban,Bocelli,Bond- real nice contemporary melodic music....So I guess it's that lush string sound I'm searching for. I already have SISS, Emerald KH and EWQLSO GoldXP and so in effect thinking layering my sounds. I was leaning towards the Chamber and Solo VI with the intent to layer and get that realistic string sound or at least as close as possible. Some say go with Chamber and other tell me it's meat and potatoes first and go with the Orchestral Strings 1/2 extended..does anyone else have thoughts on this? I have already read other threads on this, but still there seems to be no real definite advice one way or the other.The outlay on orchestral 1 and 2 compared to Chamber is substantial and if there was a choice between ORchestral 1 and Chamber what would it be guys?? I understand that the Chamber strings VI gives you that Chamber sound ( obviously), but another pro muso on the forum MATT DEAN, gave an example re tripling the tracks with the Chamber VI, it sounded great...then others have commented that this still would'nt give me the strings for the Josh Groban type sound. Any Advice would be appreciated before I go down the path and make the outlay that I will for Vi instruments. If I was to go Chamber, does that mean that all sections Vios, Violas, Cellos etc would be triple tracked in this way? So many decisions and options when it comes to a substantial purchase like this one.
    Which way? please advise

Re: VSL VI Orchestral STGS 1 or CHAMBER?

I'd go with chamber because think of it this way - you already have sectional strings from EWQL, KH and SI. Chamber-VI also works out to be a lot cheaper b/c you only have to buy one package, and if you're combining this smaller section with one of your larger ones, you can really have a lot of control over the size and intensity of your resulting sound.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Check out this thread

http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/69/128/33.vsl

I describe how you can make the Chamber Violins fuller if needed. The Chamber Strings were my first purchase and I am glad. They are very versatile and sound sweet. If you have other libraries, I suggest this is the way to go.

I also layer the Chamber with the Solo Strings VI and LOVE the sound.

On the other hand, if you simply want the most lush sound poosible, buy the Orch strings extended library and get the Appasionata Violins bonus from Vienna (make sure to confirm you can get them with the purchase). They are the most lush,epic, beautiful violin section sound I have ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean
    Check out this thread

I describe how you can make the Chamber Violins fuller if needed. The Chamber Strings were my first purchase and I am glad. They are very versatile and sound sweet. If you have other libraries, I suggest this is the way to go.

I also layer the Chamber with the Solo Strings VI and LOVE the sound.

On the other hand, if you simply want the most lush sound poosible, buy the Orch strings extended library and get the Appasionata Violins bonus from Vienna (make sure to confirm you can get them with the purchase). They are the most lush,epic, beautiful violin section sound I have ever heard.
    hi! Matt the link doesn't work. Can you give me the exact name of the thread please?

Thank you.

Oops! Sorry.

It's the

"Chamber strings with more violins "stacked?" thread. I have a small sample of how it sounds as well.

The artists you mention admiring are not using a "chamber string" group on their recordings, don't even think about it...get the orchestral strings.

I have the full VI library and though the Chamber Strings are OK for some things, they definitely SOUND smaller in size and don't do "lush" very well.

JMHO

TH
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Check out this thread

Hmmm. Yeah I wanted to feel that way about them too and though they are useful, epic isn't a word that comes to my mind when I listen to them. Expressive, or at least more expressive, yes...but that wouldn't take much, in that the whole VSL string library is a very dry (and I don't mean acoustically) sounding library. It's the best we have I believe, but I when I think "epic" I have to add other libraries to VSL to get that, or even approach it. VSL did not sample enough strings to start with, and the close mic work didn't help.

Again, not slagging them..hey, I bought the library because it is amazing overall..but someday..someone will get this Hollywood thing nailed. For now I'm still mixing and matching

TH
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

A suggestion folks. Whichever library or libraries you use a really worthwhile investment is to hire an engineer for a day who is used to recording and mixing orchestras and have him devise eq settings, placement, reverb assignments, etc. into a template for you in whatever DAW you use.

Thse guys know things that most of us good composer/2nd rate engineer types simply do not.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Oops! Sorry.

It's the

"Chamber strings with more violins "stacked?" thread. I have a small sample of how it sounds as well.
    Thanks Matt! Should be interesting...

To Ashemusic: This is very good advice.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    [...] in that the whole VSL string library is a very dry (and I don't mean acoustically) sounding library. It's the best we have I believe, but I when I think "epic" I have to add other libraries to VSL to get that, or even approach it. VSL did not sample enough strings to start with, and the close mic work didn't help. [...]TH
    Thanks for the kind words, Tomhartmann ... As the supervising engineer of the "Appassionata"-sessions I think I'm allowed to chime in here.

Re: "enough strings" - I think each of the 20+ violins involved in these recordings had "enough strings" attached ... ;-D ... but seriously: how many violin players do _you_ think make for a "huge" sound ...?

Re: "close mic" - a set of microphones in a distance of about 10 meters maximum isn't "close", in my book.

Re: "dry" - it has been explained quite a few times already that all the advanced ideas of the Vienna Instruments rely on the absence of reverb (like true legate, repetitions, and so on), which is different from the absence of _ambience_, BTW.Old-school sample-recording _with_ reverb-trails wouldn't work for theses concepts. - This doesn't mean that the room is _dry_ in the actual meaning of the word. As a matter of fact, the Silent Stage is much too big to be dry.

HTH,

Go Back to forum