• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Slides/Portamento

Share/Bookmark

Slides/Portamento

In listening to the Gofriller demos, and reading the various comments in the responses, one of the secondary issues that has been mentioned is the use of portamento in the various demos. I agree with other's comments that the portamento choices in some of the demos seemed unnatural. In a quick review of Gary's website there did not seem to be a tutorial on slides/portamento.

As a long time strings player (bass) it strikes me that a tutorial about slides/portamento/shifting/bowing technique might be of some use to the members of the forum. There are certain bowing/left hand position shifting combinations that will, by definition, create slides between notes (Many slides performed especially by new or intermediate players are the result of not yet having mastered left hand/right hand coordination.). Similarly, there are other techniques when portamento will be highly unlikely.

Over the last few days I have been giving some serious thought about possibly attempting to write such a tutorial. Is this something that would be of interest? Please let me know your thoughts.

Jim

Re: Slides/Portamento

Good Idea noldar12.
    Anything that adds to the body of knowledge, is to be welcomed.

regards Joe

Jim,

A tutorial from someone knowledgeable about stringed instruments would be welcomed. This would be very valuable to the members of the forum.

Learning proper technique is what string players strive for and it is no less important for virtual instrumentalists to have this knowledge By knowing what a string player does one would be able to better provide a more realistic emulation.

Thanks very much for the offer and if there is anything we can do to help let us know.

Gary Garritan

Gary, I am thinking of using the following approach:

After writing the first and second drafts, I will send you an email of the tutorial for your review. After your review (and with any needed revision), the tutorial could be posted on the forum for comments/suggestions/corrections, and then revised based on those suggestions.

I am looking forward to doing this.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by noldar12
    Over the last few days I have been giving some serious thought about possibly attempting to write such a tutorial. Is this something that would be of interest? Please let me know your thoughts.

Jim
    You bet it would, Jim!

Especially coming from an experienced string player.

Thank you for considering doing this -- I for one look forward to it.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Can't wait, Jim. Outstanding idea. We, I'm sure, will all be thrilled with a tutorial of this nature......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

A big task. Too big I'm afraid. The portamento effect is derived from a combinaton of which finger is stopping the departure note, and which finger will stop the arrival note. There are a lot of variables there, including the fact the two notes can be fingered in different positions, or start and end on different strings. The player will make an artistic judgement before deciding his approach. These effects are not possible on the GPO library as presently configured, which is basically to accommodate the characteristics of a keyboard. The best currently achievable is likely to be a rudimentary slide into a note. Why bother? But live in hope though.

Dermod, I feel that you are, in essence, correct. Nonetheless, in listening to various demos, what struck me was that if composers had a basic understanding of the mechanics of portamento on stringed instruments it would be possible to produce more effective emulations, even given the limitations of the technology.

As for the tutorial, I am dealing with most of the issues you have raised (and others as well), though I had previously decided not to discuss the subtle issue of using different fingers to stop the beginning and ending notes. If you feel that is worth adding, it is certainly possible for me to do that, but it struck me that such subtlety was well beyond what is currently possible.

I am hoping to have the first draft of the tutorial completed by the end of today, with the second draft following shortly thereafter. With Gary's approval, the first public draft may be posted sometime next week.

Jim

I look forward to your tutorial with interest and appreciate your willingness to share expertise and experience. I disagree though that finger changes in portamento are a subtelty. Rather they are the most commonplace. The significance for midi-editing is this. A portamento slide (when ascending) is almost invariably from the lower note, and ends at the fingers resting place in the new higher position which follows. It rarely, if ever at all, actually reaches the destination note, which is stopped by another finger. Therein lies one of the most basic features of the string portamento sound. A slide on a single finger, on the other hand, is really in the realm of a glissando, and is comparatively uncommon in the concert hall. Jazz and blue grass playing is a different matter. Best wishes with your tutorial. Dermod

Go Back to forum