• Register
  • Help

Topic: Memorial to Maynard

Memorial to Maynard

I just heard and maybe some here have not, that Maynard Ferguson has died. Info can be found at http://www.maynardferguson.com

I thought I'd pass this along to all you Jazz Buffs.

Re: Memorial to Maynard

That's unfortunate. I really love some of his stuff.

A loss for the musical community, indeed; thank you for noting it, William.

Thanks for the info; kinda sad though

Unhappy Re: Memorial to Maynard

Sad news. He was not only a great player, but a great motivator. I saw him in concert for the first time when I was in high school. I didn't even know who he was, except that he played a great version of Birdland that I loved. The concert was a huge musical motivation for me. I owe him alot. He will be missed.

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Sad news!

I only just found out myself.

I am lucky to have seen him play live at Ronnie Scott's Club in London.

A great musician.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

West Seneca, NY

This is indeed sad news for the musical jazz community and the world!

I was in my mid teens and had just bought my first MF album by illicitly diverting my weekly trumpet lesson money from one hand to the other – “I’m awful sorry, Mr. Decker, I can’t pay you this week, I’ll pay you for both lessons next week.” I had read things about Maynard. “The man whose horn could reach out for notes no other trumpeter could touch,” but it was just tantalizing words; I had not actually heard him play. I opened up the album, put it on the turntable (this was 1965,) and sat down on the edge of my bed to look at the album cover while the first track played. The first track was “Maria.” Nice full trumpet sound, no high notes, just a nice full trumpet sound - in the beginning. Then Maynard took the counterline up – up like I had never imagined possible. I flew off of that bed like there was a spring under me. I stopped the recording and cued it back a number of seconds to see if I had actually heard what I thought I’d heard. Oh yes. Well, I spent the next 45 minutes jumping around like an out-of-control puppy from one trumpet thrill to the next. I couldn’t wait to go to school the next day and show the other trumpet players this Force of Nature I had just discovered.

I met Maynard about 8 years later and was pleased to discover that he was a genuinely wonderful human being, no arrogant displays of ego here, – and very funny too – he could tell a story. Over the years I got to hear Maynard many times in person and it always rekindled that initial trumpet player thrill (even though my tastes had moved in other directions as the years passed.) I saw Maynard a couple of months ago in May when I traveled to L.A. for the Stan Kenton/Woody Herman fest. Maynard still had it. Remarkably, at almost 80 years old, he still had it. Like no one has ever had it, nor, I suspect, will ever have it again.

I’m very glad I made that trip and saw this astonishing man, who was born to play the trumpet, one last time. For me, he was one of those rare people who managed to take my preconceptions of what was possible and shatter them into little pieces. He presented a gift of greater possibilities, of a world that was bigger than I had imagined in my wildest dreams. I’m grateful for that.

Now, he’s gone. But still, in the back of my mind, there’s a young guy sitting on the edge of his bed, with an album cover in his hand, who is about to be overwhelmed by a bolt of lightning named Maynard Ferguson.

North Carolina

When I read, here, about Maynard's death a whole flood of memories were release. He was obviously a great virtuoso trumpet player and such an exciting band. I was 17 and a junior in HS when I and three friends went to Raleigh, NC to hear him play in a huge barn of a coliseum with horrible accoustics.

This was soon after he rcorded Message from Newport and the band I heard included Don Ellis, Slide Hampton, Don Sebesky, Willie Maiden Jimmy ford and Jake Hanna (among others) They pkayed (also on the album) Frame For The Blues, Slide's Derangement, Fan it Janet, Three Foxes and others.

There was very little available in jazz education then (outside of Berklee and North Texas. My very first "Big Band Arramngement was a copy (attempt) of Fan It Janet which was payed by a local band. I was too young even to feel comfortable saying the name of the tune in mixed commpany (Times Change).

I remember that Jimmy Ford went off somewhere during the intermission and got Lost (translated as stoned) but they found him in time for him to play the second half and I was in awe that he could play so fast when he was having trouble standing. Fortunately I'm no longer awed by such.

Forty years later I took my son to hear Maynard and his Big Bop Nouveau (sp?) band. The excitement and precision were still there.

He was a fine leader and fostered the careers of many young musicians both writers and players.

He will be missed.

David M.

Tom, I really enjoyed your story.
    My friend Jay Oliver (keyboardist) was hired by Maynard back in the late 70's when Jay was not even old enough to go into nightclubs, I think Jay was about 19 then. Maynard heard him play and wanted him immediately, yep Jay is that good. For years at the studio where I recorded and mixed, a picture of Jay playing his Fender Rhodes behind Maynard hung on a wall of great times and gigs.

Among many greats at that studio were, but not limited to, Eric Marienthal, Chick Corea, Dave Weckl, Steve Lukather, and even Sheryl Crow when she was learning how to be a jingle singer, and many more.

How sad to hear of someone's life ending, but their positive influences will continue to mold and shape others into "a great".

Go Back to forum