• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tremolo

Share/Bookmark

Tremolo

I am using the tremolo (strings). I have two questions:

a. is the KS version (set to tremolo) of the violins exactly the same as the free-standing sample library "Violins tremolo"?

b. how can I avoid the "mandoline" effect?

Raymond

Re: Tremolo

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    a. is the KS version (set to tremolo) of the violins exactly the same as the free-standing sample library "Violins tremolo"?
    The same.

b. how can I avoid the "mandoline" effect?
    A couple of suggestions:

1. Put some motion in it with the mod wheel data. Shape things. Remember subtle changes in timbre accompany modwheel volume changes.
    2. Use more than one section simultaneously (e.g. 1st and 2nd violins.) Don't exactly duplicate the data in the separate tracks. Make sure they are panned to somewhat different positions. These things can add complexity.

The point is to avoid unchanging sounds. Movement helps make it organic. This holds true for most things in the library.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The point is to avoid unchanging sounds. Movement helps make it organic. This holds true for most things in the library.
    I'll have a second look at it (and a third and .....until it sounds good). Thank you for the suggestion.

Raymond

With say a string quartet, it helps to offset the timimg of any instruments similteneously playing a tremolo passage. I think the lower the velocity the better it sounds and also, if using the tremolo keyswitch remember that for every note sequenced there is the opposite bow movement to consider so space your midi notes at every other position.

I would love to know any other tricks as I still find the tremolo function sounds mechanical and machine gun-like.

I agree with the last post in that the playable tremolo on Solo KS instruments is very mechanical and machine-gun sounding. The pre-recorded tremolo in the Sections sounds good to me and I am hoping to achieve this effect in the Solo instruments. It seems from the searching I've done on this forum that this is an unresolved "issue". Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    If pro is the opposite of con lets look beyond this....the opposite of congress must be progress...

Go Back to forum