Share/Bookmark

OT: Best Studio Headphones?

hi guys,
    like title..........tnx

Re: OT: Best Studio Headphones?

Grado are the best! I have tried many, but purchased the SR325i

http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

I've used my friend's Grados a number of times. They sound very nice and open, when listening for enjoyment; however, I find them much too scooped for mixing, and they don't have good enough isolation for tracking.

If you're listening to your iPod in a quiet environment, Grados are a great choice.

For mixing/tracking look at the Senns/Sonys/BeyerDynamics listed in the thread above.

For listening to your iPod on an airliner or other noisy environment, check out the Sennheiser in-ear monitors. They sound much nicer, have better isolation and are many times smaller than the current crop of noise cancelling headphones.

Know your job - then choose the right tool for it.

I hate to say it, but the old AKG K240Ms are still very good studio headphones. They're certainly not for pleasure listening and they're not especially commfortable, but they do everything you want studio headphones to do really well: provide isolation when you're tracking, and provide a flat reference - including low bass that NFMs don't have - for mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    I hate to say it, but the old AKG K240Ms are still very good studio headphones. They're certainly not for pleasure listening and they're not especially commfortable, but they do everything you want studio headphones to do really well: provide isolation when you're tracking, and provide a flat reference - including low bass that NFMs don't have - for mixing.
    Apart from the AKG K240Ms, what are other good brands/models for recording/tracking specifically (not mixing). Are there headphones that have zero leakage?

I just replaced my AKG 240's because of the leakage. I bought the Sony 7509's and love them. I compared the leakage with Roland, AKG, Sennheiser, and a coupl eof others and found them tol be the quietest. I certainly noticed a big difference in my tracks.

That said, I also find the sound great. I find it easier to sing because the bottom end is tighter and overall it's just a better sound than I had beofre.

Matt, do you happen to know how the 7509 compares to its cheaper predecessor, the 7506, in terms of leakage?

According to the guy I bought them from, the main difference is the frequency response and the power/output. The leakage is supposed to be the same

Just curious, did you compare the leakage of the 7509 to the AKG K171 and the Sennheiser HD280?

Go Back to forum