• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EQUILIBRIUM - Jamie Kowalski

Share/Bookmark

EQUILIBRIUM - Jamie Kowalski

Here is a completed movement from a piece in progress, Equilibrium for piano and large orchestra.

Equilibrium - 8MB

This is almost entirely GPO and JABB, only the woodblock is from another library. I switched from the GPO Steinway to the JABB piano at the last minute, as it gave it a little more of a lush sound. This will be my most ambitious work to date, with a target length of over 20 minutes for all movements combined. This movement uses 68 tracks in Sonar and represents about 80 hours of work so far.

I'd love any and all feedback from the community.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Skysaw; 02-07-2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Link update
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: EQUILIBRIUM - Jamie Kowalski

Classic Kowalski; but certainly with some added vocabulary.

There seems to be more of a Jazz influence, with inferences
    of Romanticism in the handling of corners and edges; yet
    still spare, with every note employed with purpose.

The work shows, Jamie. You've always been fairly subtle;
    but there's a greater lithesomeness and far more natural
    poise and confidence in this than I have heard from you
    before.

Bravo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jamie:

Definitely a major beginning for your most ambitious work to date. Love the use and SOUND of the JABB piano. What kind of reverb did you use with it? The orchestration is very finely woven and keeps interest "alive" all the way. Just a great piece, Jamie. I agree with David regarding the jazz influence. Very well integrated.

BRAVO!

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Wow!...Really enjoyed this work, Jamie !

The tone and fluidity is amazing...

Ordinarily music embodies a dialogue of voices. Your arrangement seems to convey one of movement..As though the notes themselves ran off on their own frenetic direction, yet while maintaining close continuity.

...never an out of place element.

You've painted a very visual story here,

I think this is one of your best works!

Bravo!

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    There seems to be more of a Jazz influence, with inferences
    of Romanticism in the handling of corners and edges; yet still spare, with every note employed with purpose.
    There is definitely a little bit of a jazz sound in there, especially with the use of the suspended/ride cymbal at around 3:20, and with some of fun syncopations. I think I might have channeled a little Rachmaninov for a few measures as well.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    You've always been fairly subtle; but there's a greater lithesomeness and far more natural poise and confidence in this than I have heard from you before.
    I'm very encouraged to hear you say that. I spent a good amount of time hating this piece while developing it, but just kept pushing on. It takes a surprising amount of sweat and toil to sound lithe!

Thank you for your kind comments.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Love the use and SOUND of the JABB piano. What kind of reverb did you use with it?
    I use Perfect Space convolution reverb, which was bundled with Sonar 5 PE. The impulse is one from the Concertgebauw in Amsterdam, which I got from the Noisevault website.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    The orchestration is very finely woven and keeps interest "alive" all the way.
    I'm happy to hear this comment. I was frankly a bit worried about keeping interest in a piece this formless and schizophrenic. Often I weave the thread of continuity very late in development, trying to stitch together ideas that were formed independantly.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Ordinarily music embodies a dialogue of voices. Your arrangement seems to convey one of movement..As though the notes themselves ran off on their own frenetic direction, yet while maintaining close continuity.
    Still digesting this comment, though I appreciate it much. The music is certainly frenetic, or perhaps it could be called manic. It's going to be fun to set up drastic contrasting moods in the other movements.

Thanks for listening.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Hi Jamie,
    alhough my tastes typically revolve around melodic themes, I enjoyed this work of yours. Even though you say 80 hours,... that is a fantastic amount of work in that amount of time.

Dan

I always look forward to the latest Kowalski posting but this one is particularly delicious. The various influences work very well here primarily because a successful balance has been struck. In addition to the jazz and romantic touches mentioned by others I smiled at the "Twilight Zone" ostinato vibe at the beginning and elsewhere. Time well spent, for you Jamie, and the listener. Very cool.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    alhough my tastes typically revolve around melodic themes, I enjoyed this work of yours. Even though you say 80 hours,... that is a fantastic amount of work in that amount of time.
    Thank you, Dan. Yes, I do think I've accomplished a lot, even if it clocks in at less than 6 minutes. Just goes to show that OCD is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I always look forward to the latest Kowalski posting but this one is particularly delicious. The various influences work very well here primarily because a successful balance has been struck. In addition to the jazz and romantic touches mentioned by others I smiled at the "Twilight Zone" ostinato vibe at the beginning and elsewhere.
    Thanks Tom, very much appreciated. I hadn't intentionally gone to the "Zone," but I hear what you're talking about.

Thank you both for listening and for your comments.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast