• Register
  • Help

Topic: 'Maddalena' by David Hearn - Demo of both The Stradivari Violin and Gofriller Cello

Share/Bookmark

'Maddalena' by David Hearn - Demo of both The Stradivari Violin and Gofriller Cello

Some have been asking how the Stradivari and Gorfiller Cello sound together.

David Hearn has sent in a new original composition called 'Maddalena' which features both the Gofriller Cello and the Stradivari Violin and shows how well they compliment each.

Maddalena

http://www.garritan.com/Cello/MaddalenaSolo.mp3

David writes: "It's an exciting time to be creating music, we seem to be advancing with the technology at the fastest rate ever! To me, the most impressive part of the Strad/Gofriller is the speed at which you can get the result you need. I also love the way that it's so easy to adjust the tone using basic tools - a very clever idea to give people a cello sound that is so malleable. "

Thanks David for this extraordinary work and for sharing it with us.

Gary Garritan

Re: 'Maddalena' by David Hearn - Demo of both The Stradivari Violin and Gofriller Cello

Wow! David, this is, indeed, extraordinary! A beautiful
    composition, to say the least -- and wonderfully
    expressive rendering of the 'cello and violin in this.

I almost wonder if you fellows have gone off and hired
    a couple of real string players, and you're smokin' us... lol.

Each successive effort with this technology grows more
    and more astute, closer and closer to the realization of
    a dream we perhaps couldn't have even imagined only
    a very few years ago.

David, without reservation:

BRAVO!

This is superb work.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: 'Maddalena' by David Hearn - Demo of both The Stradivari Violin and Gofriller Cello

David, this is really nice, the writing too
    Dan

A charming composition, and beautiful work with the solo strings libraries.

Lovely stuff David.

regards Joe

Hmm ....

I would really like to join in the praise since it basically is really lovely ...

but I think there is a problem with the mix. For me the sound of the two string instruments add to a a sharp distortion-like sound in these places:
    1:06, 1:17, 1:20, 1:35, 1:48.

These are the longer notes with simple intervals, and the A-string of the cello has a very sharp tone then that gives a sort of overdriven sound to it ... at least in this context. I suppose the cello sounds fine if you take the violin away.

I would recommend to soften the tone of the cello a little bit as soon as the violin comes in or try to slightly detune it - maybe simply a bigger vibrato at these places would do the job.

Hannes

Oh man, this is beautiful. It is wonderful to hear the Gofriller in the hands of a musician, and one who knows how to handle string instruments for a change. This is by far the best demo of the Gofriller as well as the Stradivari I have heard to date. Based on the other demos I was beginning to have my doubts about the quality of the Gofriller (sorry guys, I know you did your best, it's just not good enough ). Until today I have not gotten a favorable impression of it. But this one just saves my day. Thank you, mr. Hearn!

Re: 'Maddalena' by David Hearn - Demo of both The Stradivari Violin and Gofriller Cel

Hello David,

I am just listening to your composition of the 2 instruments and the piano.
    It's really beautiful and expressive. Wow! Great!
    The realism here is amazing!

Thanks for submitting this to Gary.
    I hope we hear some more of your material.
    best,

Steve

It is quite wonderful to hear both strings in duet. I love the composition.

Like Hannes, I hear something in the tone of the strings. I'm not an expert by any means, but it almost sounds like the strings are too closely miced. They sound like there is not enough "room" in the mix? The piano sounds a bit more "live". Maybe just a simple reverb adjustment?

The playing of the instruments is soooo real. Great job!
    Earl Green

Go Back to forum