• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cymbal Rolls, Gongs, and other things

Share/Bookmark

Question Cymbal Rolls, Gongs, and other things

First off, I don't know anything about sequencing, and I just use notation to write all my music. So forgive my bad terminology.

I use Finale 2006, and in the Basic Orchestral Percussion, I can't seem to get the cymbal roll or gong sound to work right.

I'll start with the cymbal roll. At first, I couldn't even find it on the staff, but after playing around on the Kompakt Keyboard, I figured out where it was, but only after turning the virtual mod wheel up. So I found the note on the percussion staff to use, but it only plays as loud or soft as the mod wheel is set, if that makes sense. I enter a whole note, and at the beginning, I set it to pianissimo, then I put a crescendo on the whole measure and a forte at the end. I thought human playback would play the crescendo, but it just plays at the level the mod wheel is set to, through the whole measure.

If you can even understand what I said, am I even doing this right? Is there some trick to it?

Secondly, I can't even find the gong sound on the staff, no matter where the mod wheel is. I'm talking about the big, loud, *pshaw* sound. I ended up just recording the sound from the Kompakt keyboard into my audio editor and adding it to the mix.

If you can make any sense of this, I'd appreciate some help with this. Thanks,

Joseph

Re: Cymbal Rolls, Gongs, and other things

Hi,

I have played with the cymbals as well for a time, so I can relate.

In Overture I can set the crescendo to cc01, then it works.

For searching the sounds it is much faster to have a look at the documentation, there is a list on page 57 (would do a copy&paste but doesn't work).

Hope this helps

Hannes

I know what note the gong is on, but it just doesn't play when I enter it. It doesn't make sense. Do you know how I can set the crescendo to cc01 like you were talking about in Finale?

You need to cheat Human Playback into thinking it is not a percussion staff, otherwise it will not use Modwheel for dynamics. But, of course, if you do succeed to cheat HP, the other percussion instr. on the same staff won't know what to do with the Modwheel; most only respond to velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    You need to cheat Human Playback into thinking it is not a percussion staff, otherwise it will not use Modwheel for dynamics. But, of course, if you do succeed to cheat HP, the other percussion instr. on the same staff won't know what to do with the Modwheel; most only respond to velocity.
    That did it. It works fine now. Thanks!

Go Back to forum