• Register
  • Help

Topic: Brand new computer and Gigastudio crashes

Share/Bookmark

Brand new computer and Gigastudio crashes

I finally updated my old clunky P3 to an Intel Pentium D Desktop with recommended requirements from Tascam. Installed Gigastudio 3.0 Orchestra and everytime I try and launch it, my computer crashes and restarts, I can't even re-register it. The only thing I can do is use the configuration manger. I updated to the latest patch 3.12 but this doesn't help. I have done everything recommended in tweaking audio for Windows XP (Except System Restore because I'm paranoid)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Brand new computer and Gigastudio crashes

Sounds like you have hyper threading enabled. Disable it and/or update to 3.12 before trying to run Gigastudio.

- G

Considering it's a new system I would first recommend doing a full memory scan. Faulty DIMMs are not rare and I've had similar BSOD problems in the past because of one bad memory module.

It's well possible that certain software runs flawlessly in such a scenario, while more memory hungry apps, like GS3 or Adobe Photoshop, cause a system crash (BSOD).

A well-known memory check utility can be found at:

www.memtest86.com

Good luck!

Rob

You first need to disable WinXP's autorestart: By Default, Windows XP reboots when there's a serious error. To disable this "feature", right click on My Computer, choose properties, click on the Advanced tab, click on Settings under Startup and Recovery, and un-check "Automatically Restart".

Then, you'll get a blue screen with an error message that han help you troubleshoot.

What audio card are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by rjdekker
    Considering it's a new system I would first recommend doing a full memory scan. Faulty DIMMs are not rare and I've had similar BSOD problems in the past because of one bad memory module.

It's well possible that certain software runs flawlessly in such a scenario, while more memory hungry apps, like GS3 or Adobe Photoshop, cause a system crash (BSOD).

A well-known memory check utility can be found at:

www.memtest86.com

Good luck!

Rob
    My first thought also.

Did you update your bios? Remember your boot ini. files live in the partition..if you refortmatted the hard drive..you have to do a full reformat and not the reformat "lite" which retains the old partition..
    Have you updated all your drivers? sound card? video card? updated windows? updated at computer mfg site? IRQ conflicts?..look in device manager..any yellow exclaimation marks? Do you have eneough memory? viruses? spyware slowdown? registry ok? do you have any system diagnostics software you can run? When you try and load an instrument did you click on the "+" to expand the tree so you can pick an instrument..rather than click on the entire library which could load all the instruments in that particular library?..Look in Control Panel and check in Administrative Tools..Event Viewer application and system to see if windows spots the problem. I am sure you can fix the problem,,probably just a driver or some thing..Open task manager (rt click on very bottom of your screen) look at Physical memory..also your Commit Charge(K) total is the amount you are currently using..

do you have any seagate drives in that computer?

Scott
    ADK

If I read you correctly, you cannot even launch Giga now (only the Configuration Manager), is that correct?

---------------------------

I went through something similar -- I, too, didn't realize that pre-version 3.12 Giga would choke on a Pentium D. I got the BSoDs, updated to 3.12, and continued to get BSoDs every time I tried to launch Giga...

It seems as though the crashes that prompted the earlier BSoDs corrupted the QS database which, in turn, seems to have generated BSoDs of its own even after I updated my software to v3.12.

---------------------------

Two things helped me greatly:

(1) deleting the QuickSound database (just deleting the "db" subfolder inside the Giga application folder (see http://www.learngigastudio.com/index...=158&Itemid=48 );

(2) disabling the QuickSound database in Giga's "Startup Options," so that the program will launch without building the QS database.

If you can successfully launch the program, then close it immediately and re-launch it... it always seems to work better when launched after a normal exit...

You can then work on building your QS database, slowly, perhaps a folder at a time... just to make sure that it isn't a bad (or improperly named) .gig file that is causing the QS database to freak...

I've also seen a number of people suggest disabling "Monitor File Activity," at least at first...

You can also try disabling (VST and/or other) plugins in the Configuration Manager, to see if Giga will behave better that way. I believe that some plug-ins can cause Giga to misbehave. You can then re-enable them, little by little, to see whether and where a plug-in related problem originated...

Good luck!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Hi!

Have a look in the system32\drivers folder for a file called filespy.sys.
    It is part of gigastudio and will cause your system to randomly crash and reboot. If this is your problem:

Uninstall giga
    Remove filespy.sys

They havent gotten back to me with an answer as to why the hell they would code such a problematic driver in it.

Hope it helps

Go Back to forum