Jack did all the MIDI work in Cakewalk Express and used GPO studio and Ambience. Jack writes: "I start by setting up the sounds with Garritan Studio. Woodwinds and brass basically use the solo instrument set to the appropriate polyphony. If mutes or other sounds are needed, they are set up on other channels. Similarly with strings, I set up each section with sustain+short,pizzicato, tremolo, muted. I'm trying to gradually work out the basic volume settings for each patch that would more or less work with fairly standard CC1 changes."
Excellent work Jack! This must have been quite a daunting task to do this all in Cakewalk Express.
Thanks for sending this in and I'm looking forward to hearing more of your works.
I would like to thank you for your kind remarks re: my Prelude to 'Tristan and Isolde. I didn't know it was here. I just found it.
I would like to correct part of Gary's explanation about how I produced this. I originally created the MIDI file using my own program 'Midi File Creator (32 bit). It was created as a GM file using soundfonts. Using the same program, I re-created it for Garritan Studio. This involved setting ports, converting CC11's to CC1's, resetting velocities, and many other changes (especially with the CC1's. Also doublings etc. that can't be done with soundfonts can be done with GPO.
Since my program only creates the file, but uses outside help to play it, I used Cakewalk Express which can handle the ports as well as the playing. I also used Ambience, and recorded it with Garritan Studio.