• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Bandmaster

Share/Bookmark

The Bandmaster

This is an original composition for concert band that I wrote some time ago in honor of a good friend, William Root, "Conductor and Teacher of the Art of Music" as inscribed in the score. He passed away this past June after years of dedication to the world of music.

The work was written as a concert march. And as it turned out, to me it had a certain feeling of a British style march. I re-scored it in Finale 2006 and realized it using both the GPO and the JABB (for the saxes).

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Bandmaster.mp3

Another fellow with whom I have previously collaborated, Nigel Horne (http://www.bandsman.co.uk/), further arranged "The Bandmaster" for British Brass Band. It is presented below with his kind permission. Just a note for the BB purists, the cornet parts are covered by trumpets as they do not exist in GPO or JABB. Hopefully I will be able to fill that gap when the new Concert Band library is issued.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/BandmasterBB.mp3

I hope that you enjoy these works.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: The Bandmaster

Bravo Gary!

What a wonderful composition in honor of your friend. It was fascinating hearing two versions and how different they are. The two traditions - US concert band and British band have evolved along two different lines. Both versions were excellent. Your realizations with GPO/JABB is outstanding.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to both of these versions.

I can't wait to hear what they will sound like with the new Marching Band library.

Thanks for posting these.

Gary Garritan

A really fine composition, Gary, exemplary of its genre.

Most interesting to hear the comparison, too!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Bravo Gary!

What a wonderful composition in honor of your friend. It was fascinating hearing two versions and how different they are. The two traditions - US

..........snip...............

I can't wait to hear what they will sound like with the new Marching Band library.

Thanks for posting these.

Gary Garritan
    Thanks for your comments Gary. Bill was a great conductor who knew how to wring every last drop of excitement out of piece. We drove 45 mi each way every other week to play in his honors band. And this work was only a small token of appreciation as compared to what he gave to us.

I agree that there quite the difference in the two version of Bandmaster. The British Brass Band of course uses cornet and tenor horns vs the trumpets and F horns employed here. Nigel did a wonderful job his arrangement!!

I am anxious to see the instruments available and how they sound in the new Marching Band library. I have a number of other works to put it to the test with

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    A really fine composition, Gary, exemplary of its genre.

Most interesting to hear the comparison, too!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for your comments David. I am glad that you enjoyed this work. It is very different in style from previous concert marches that I have composed.

Nigel did an excellent job with his arrangment as he does with all the works that he produces. It is fun to be able to provide the comparison between the two music genres.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Yes I do!

Somehow these brass band sounds are calling me, they are moving.

Whenever I hear such "educated" brass bands I wish I could play in one ... hehe .

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

This is an original composition for concert band that I wrote some time ago in honor of a good friend, William Root, ...

Pleasant and enjoyable marching band sound Gary. Congratulations! It is inspirational and calls for that kind of work.

Aleksandar

The work was written as a concert march.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Proper job as they say 'round these 'ere parts! Proper handsome m'boy! ... Sorry Gary, I'm getting carried away - but I thought I was listening to one of our local town bands here in southwest UK. It sounds like it! A lovely piece and very well performed. Definitely rather British.

Thanks, Graham

Gary:

Great band scoring. I was carried away with the sound you created. It wasn't just a bunch of instruments--but a true band sound.

Really enjoyable. Can't wait until you use Gary's Marching Band Library, although what you have is truly great.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Yes I do!
    Somehow these brass band sounds are calling me, they are moving.
    Whenever I hear such "educated" brass bands I wish I could play in one ... Hannes
    Hannes,

Yes Mr. Horne did a fantastic job arranging the brass band piece. We both appreciate your kind comments.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast