• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Tom's Music: My newly-discovered Power User Profile page

Tom's Music: My newly-discovered Power User Profile page

I have only recently stumbled across the fact that I have a Power User Profile page! Here I am a forum moderator, one of the ostensibly “in the know” people, and this particular detail managed to escape me – apparently for months. I'll need to check my calendar to be sure, but I suspect that I must have been busy doing something else . . .

So, now that awareness has dawned, I've taken the time this weekend to populate my phantom page with information and, also, some of my music. Over the years I've posted very little of my work because I didn't feel it appropriate to post music in the Garritan Listening Room that wasn't created using Garritan libraries. Unfortunately, virtually all of my compositions and recordings pre-date my work with Garritan; some of it by a decade or more. Since Gary started monopolizing all of my waking (and semi-waking) hours about 5 years ago I have had precious few (read: Zero) spare minutes for composing - and no, the occasional brief library demo doesn't count.

Discovering this Power User Profile page makes it possible for me to post music separate from the dedicated Garritan Listening Room so, finally, I have a place to put some of my music for those who have asked and anyone else who might be interested. I've compiled a variety of examples of my music including brass ensemble, chamber, orchestral, piano, jazz and jazz-fusion, and even abstract electronic. Many of the pieces illustrate the technique of combining live and sampled instruments – something I strongly favor. Several pieces illustrate my peculiar habit of buzzing my lips into curved metal tubing. I picked up this irritating foible as a replacement for thumb sucking when I was quite young – never been able to break the habit since. My thumbs have reaped the benefit, though, and are now quite presentable!

I've written brief explanations for each piece plus credits for the musicians involved but, frankly, it's not obvious to me how Those In Search of More Knowledge can get at this information from the profile page; I haven't been able to spot the access point - but then, I do wear bifocals. Anyway, I've explored a lot of different areas of music over the years and have enjoyed gently bending, folding, spindling, and mutilating all of them. The present collection is an eclectic brew; the 20th century influences in my music are strong and varied. With the more unusual pieces, you may need to be in just the right mood (one that I suspect would perhaps be best served by modern psychiatric drugs) to fully enjoy them. With that, anyone interested may wander over by clicking on my name and choosing “View Public Profile.” Now, it's back to work for me.

Re: My newly-discovered Power User Profile page

a great collection that shows a side of the composer and arranger Tom Hopkins that has been unknown to me so far. Therefore I enjoy the pieces the more!

First class music, absolutely perfect produced! Yes, I think the layering of samples with recordings can be an "asset" method. Thank you for letting us listen to this!

All your strings belong to me!

Re: My newly-discovered Power User Profile page

Loved your French Hommage.
    C'est Formidable.

Salut Joe

Re: Tom's Music: My newly-discovered Power User Profile page

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed them.

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: Tom's Music: My newly-discovered Power User Profile page

Now that's one very outstanding body of work, Tom. My favorite is Dreams of a Child - 1953, after listening about a minute I was bookmarking your page for future listening, and at about 3.50 when the bass became apparent and at around 6 something when the horns sounded I was again reaching for the bookmark, in case I had forgot to do that. Loved all the others as well, and btw, nice touch with the seagulls in Infinite Refractions! A user name should have a gold border as a reminder whenever such a collection of works is sitting there, one click away.

Thanks David. Dreams of a Child - 1953 has a special meaning for me because, of course, I am that 5 year old child in 1953. I lived that piece and it always conjures up very specific and vivid images. It's my own little 15 minute time machine!

By the way, were any of you who have replied here able to access the explanatory material and musician credits? Just wondering. I still don't see the doorway to that information for visitors to the profile page.

Tom, really, I want to say it was wonderful finally being able to check out the music you've written Especially after all the support you've given in terms of coming to local performances of mine.

Listening to a select majority of the pieces listed, I definately sense a very personal style that I can't quite place in terms of influences. And I say that in a very positive way! There's a certain sense of tonality just pushing the borders of the norm while still coming across as very deliberate. I often find that when music crosses into the world of anormality, it loses a bit of what I feel is intentional note writing, but not so much with your work. Things are carefully placed, very inventive, and very unique

I look forward to listening to the rest!

Really great charts and compositions and so well done in the early days.

How can one download some of your works to add good music to their computer in mp3 form?

Oh yeah..........can't see any descriptive info on your compositions at all.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi Tom, I really love your playing, what a great sound!

I have a bunch of information about all my different pieces of, well, music, and it is not viewable to anyone either. It was disappointing after typing it all in to not see it, I suppose it is still there.

Maybe PaPa can fix that for us.

Have a beautiful day Tom, and say Hi to Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    How can one download some of your works to add good music to their computer in mp3 form?
    Click on the down arrow on the right side of the composition name line in the player. That should let you download the piece. That's the theory anyway!

Go Back to forum