• Register
  • Help

Topic: From Finale 2006 to Cubase SX3

Share/Bookmark

From Finale 2006 to Cubase SX3

I just bought EWQL Silver, and I am really pleased with it. There are some things I want to keep about GPO, though, and I still plan on writing all my music in Finale. But... I want to export everything to Cubase so I can edit it more thoroughly. I'm still learning my way around, so bear with me here. I'll probably have a lot of questions as I continue to learn this.

My first question is, what is the best way to optimize music written in Finale for use in Cubase? I remember someone saying that the mod data has to be changed to expression data for EWQL instruments, and I've found that this seems to be true. I'm also having to change a LOT of note velocities. Some of them are way too low, and some are way too high. Are there settings in human playback where I can change to the controller data to cc11 instead of cc01? I hope that makes sense, because it sounds weird to me. I guess I'm just wanting to get some tips from some of you who use Finale and Cubase on how to get them to work best with each other. Or am I completely wrong about the whole thing, and is it better just to use one or the other? If that's the case, I'm out of luck. I just can't compose on a sequencer. I have trouble finding inspiration staring at a keyboard and a blank multitrack sequencer screen. I just feel more at home with notation. Anyway, if you could answer some of my qustions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm new to all this sequencing talk, so forgive me if my terminology is mixed up.

Re: From Finale 2006 to Cubase SX3

Quote Originally Posted by JosephF
    Are there settings in human playback where I can change to the controller data to cc11 instead of cc01?
    No. You can choose between CC#1 (Activate GPO support: Always) or CC#7 (Activate GPO support: Don't) in HP Preferences. And you can raise "Optimise Attacks. Base Value" from 80, if the velocities are too low.

How do you put your finale scores into cubase? My finale will not open vst-do you "play it in from another machine? I have full gpo on my cubase machine, but it does not recognize finale 2007. Is your finale vst? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rilla
    How do you put your finale scores into cubase? My finale will not open vst-do you "play it in from another machine? I have full gpo on my cubase machine, but it does not recognize finale 2007. Is your finale vst? thanks!
    In Finale: "Save as..." (MIDI).
    In Cubase: "Open" (MIDI), or "Import". I don't know, since I don't own Cubase. In Sonar it would be "Open".

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    No. You can choose between CC#1 (Activate GPO support: Always) or CC#7 (Activate GPO support: Don't) in HP Preferences. And you can raise "Optimise Attacks. Base Value" from 80, if the velocities are too low.
    I"m not familiar with Cubase, but in Sonar it's possible to change CC1 data to CC11 with the "Interpolate" command. I assume something similar exists in Cubase.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum