• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wavecenter PCI and Analog out Issues?

Share/Bookmark

Wavecenter PCI and Analog out Issues?

I know nothing about the Wintel universe. I\'m planning on getting a PC and dedicating it to Gigastudio. The output would go to my Mac-based system (2408mkII and Spirit 328 digital console).

The Wavecenter PCI seemed like a good choice. It has 8-channel ADAT optical out and a S/PDIF out and MIDI i/o.

The thing is, it has no ANALOG outs.

They way I envision it, I think I could get by with only digital outs.

But to those with more experience ... is there some unforseen reason why it would be handy or necessary to have analog outs.

Just seems hard for me to get used to soundcards with no analog outs. Don\'t think they have anything like that in the Mac universe.

Best,
    Babz

Re: Wavecenter PCI and Analog out Issues?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babz:
    I know nothing about the Wintel universe. I\'m planning on getting a PC and dedicating it to Gigastudio. The output would go to my Mac-based system (2408mkII and Spirit 328 digital console).

The Wavecenter PCI seemed like a good choice. It has 8-channel ADAT optical out and a S/PDIF out and MIDI i/o.

The thing is, it has no ANALOG outs.

They way I envision it, I think I could get by with only digital outs.

But to those with more experience ... is there some unforseen reason why it would be handy or necessary to have analog outs.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Babz,

I have a similar setup to what you\'re considering with Wavecenter PCIs going into a MOTU 2408 Mk II. I do all my mixing internaly in my Mac and monitor through the analogue outs of the 2408 going into a Mackie 1402-VLZ. If I want to send the signal to an external FX unit I also use the analogue outs on the 2408. The only drawback is that doing so is fairly processor intensive.

All the outs on the Wavecenter are digital(spdif/lightpipe)since all these cards are availible for Mac/Windows this is hardly a Windows thing.You could always get a Delta 66 that comes with 4 bal/unbal analog i/o.My brother uses the Wavecenter and gets excellent results,he also saved a ton of $$ and got the Alessis A1-3(8 i/o lightpipe)which only set him back $300.00 in addition to the card making it $600.00 total.We a/b\'d it to the Motu and the Frontier box and found no difference whatsoever.Another option would be the Delta 1010 which has 8 pro analog i/o and goes for around $500.00.

Thanks for the replies on this!

This is exactly the advice I was looking for. I hadn\'t thought about it, but yes I WOULD want to route Gigastudio to external effects units. Maybe I should look at some of the more expensive units with more i/o options.

The way I was planning on using it was to take 8 channels of ADAT directly into my 2408, and the use Gigastudios auxes to send the SAME signal out the S/PDIF to my digital mixer for monitoring.

But now if I want to add outboard effects, I could take the 8 channels of ADAT out from Giga directly into my mixer (it has 2 banks of ADAT in) and add the effect via the mixer\'s auxes. But I don\'t want to do this because I need all 16 ADAT ins on my mixer for audio tracks. Hmmmm..... I\'ll have to sort this all out.

Thanks,
    Babz
    Setup:
    Spirit 328 mixer
    (16 ADAT in/24 ADAT out, S/PDIF i/o, AES/EBU i/o),
    Mac G4/2408mkII (24 ADAT i/o, 24 TDIF i/o, S/PDIF i/o, 8 analog i/o)

Contemplating:
    PC w/ Gigastudio and ? Soundcard

Hey Babz,

I hear you. I just joined this forum with the same intent - to make intelligent choices regarding the Nemesys offering coming from the Motu/Mac universe.

I need to make a decision regarding the type of card that will fill the need of the hour regarding sending 8 channels of Lightpipe to my 2408MKII and of course, to Digital Performer 3.0 with MHCS\'s and BFCC\'s across the mix to taste, with Altivec Verb across the mix buss.

I like your setup. Is windows 98 the best one for audio at this time? Let me know...

<< I like your setup. Is windows 98 the best one for audio at this time? Let me know...>>

Hah!, that\'s funny, chanada33, I was about to ask you the same thing! From what I understand Windoze98 SE or Windoze ME are good for Giga....

Have you decided which PC to get yet? I\'m still researching. Thinking of having one custom built based around an AMD Athlon 1.2 or 1.4 GHz CPU and Asus motherboard ...

Babz

<< I like your setup. Is windows 98 the best one for audio at this time? Let me know...>>

< Hah!, that\'s funny, chanada33, I was about to ask you the same thing! From what I understand Windoze98 SE or Windoze ME are good for Giga....>

<Have you decided which PC to get yet? I\'m still researching. Thinking of having one custom built based around an AMD Athlon 1.2 or 1.4 GHz CPU and Asus motherboard ...>

Babz

I think Orren sent me these links to have your own built from scratch:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/
    http://www.tccomputers.com/

I was also thinking about putting a second Korg Oasys PCI card (I\'ve got one running on my 533 Dual) into the PC sampler Nemesys monster. Comments? The audio outs probably wouldn\'t work with Nemesys but at least I\'d get another synth/dsp engine helping out on the audio stew.

I also think Orren mentioned about using a Motu Fastlane USB Midi Port for his PC and connecting it to his MTP AV USB on his Mac.

Here\'s another link he sent me regarding the audio card he highly recommends for Nemesys, the RME DIGI9652 - 52 Channel 24 Bit 96 kHz Digital Audio Multitrack System:
    http://www.rme-audio.com/english/index.htm

Why do I feel like a mad scientist? Dr Frankenstein, look out!

Best,
    Chanada33

On the Nemesys site, they seem to be leaning toward Windows 98 as the recommended OS - what do you think?

Do you know anything about Creamware stuff? Nemesys says they support Creamware Pulsar II, (dsp card, audio interface and synth card all in one without hitting the CPU...) ...thinking of a music production sampling station, synth engine and audio transfer to DP. (Don\'t mind me, I want it all!)

Go Back to forum