• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: which dynaudio monitor?

Share/Bookmark

which dynaudio monitor?

my room is (going to be) 10feet by 15 feet. rock, hip hop, electronic and score type music. im looking for a solid and great set of monitors. heard nothing but great things about dynaudio. had a chance to quickly hear the 5a's at a guitar center (2min). sounded good to me. right now im using a powered event pair (ps6's) and theyve been great just want a better quality (better low end) set. are the 15a's too much for my room? whats the major diff btw the 5's and 6's?
    thanks!!

Re: which dynaudio monitor?

I've had dynaudio monitors and they are great but......check out Blue Sky. Guitar Center carries them and I've found them to be more aurally reliable and less fatiguing than the Dynaudio.

Get the BM6's. They have a more defined low end, and I use them in a room that is only about 14 feet, front to back. All my mixes have translated very well outside of this room. Listening not only on various playback systems, but by several respected mastering engineers as well.

I can listen at varying volumes for 12-14 hours a day, and do not get fatigued at all.

I don't own BM6a but my engineer does and when we mix he always brings them and no matter what room we are in they are terrific.

Anyone know anything about their new Air series of monitors?
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I've been using the 5a's for about half a year now and really love them - I'm in a smaller semi-treated room and doing mostly orchestral/acoustic stuff so I'm not in need of monsterous volume or super deep bass, so the 6a's might be a bit more appropriate for your needs. Either way, they're nice monitors!

great question Lee....was going to ask that as i have a lead on a pair of passive 15a's....was wondering what amp people are using and what he biggest diff btw the active and passive would be.

I'm using the BM15A Actives in a room a little bigger - 14x15 and they are great. I don't find they're too big and love the extended bass. I also put RealTraps in my room and they HUGELY improved the response and flattened the room a bunch.

I've heard the the old school ones are a bit better than the new AIR series, not sure myself. But I think you'll be very happy with whatever Dyns you get. My mixes have translated much better since I got them, for what it's worth...

Jeff

OTOH, the BBC was so impressed with the AIR series that they bought a gazillion pair of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Out of curiosity, what are you using to power them?

Has anyone done any listening tests between the active and passive versions of this speaker?

Lee Blaske
    The BM6's I'm using are the active ones. So I'm only familiar with how they sound with their own built-in power amp(s).

These really are amazing sounding speakers. If any of you are unfamiliar with them, check them out. You will not be disappointed in the least...

I use the BM15s and love them. I spent $500 on an old Bryston 3B amp that i found on ebay and couldn't be happier with the combo. If you were going to be blasting them in a larger room than yours you might want more power but I've never come even close to pushing that amp here.
    JP

Go Back to forum