• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hammerfall

Share/Bookmark

Hammerfall

I\'m thinking of getting a Hammerfall card, but with no analogue outs, only adat, I was wondering how you monitor the sound. Do you have to link to a digital mixing desk? I f so which one do you recommend? Are there any cheap ones? I don\'t fancy spending over £2000 on a mixing desk just to be able to here the output from a £400 sound card.

Cheers
    Adrian

Re: Hammerfall

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adrian H:
    I\'m thinking of getting a Hammerfall card, but with no analogue outs, only adat, I was wondering how you monitor the sound. Do you have to link to a digital mixing desk? I f so which one do you recommend? Are there any cheap ones? I don\'t fancy spending over £2000 on a mixing desk just to be able to here the output from a £400 sound card.

Cheers
    Adrian
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pd:
    you might check out the digi96/8pad by rme
    -similar spec but with analog audio monitor output plus spdif,aesebu and adat..it works fine for me...also check out on their site the ideal pc configuration for their cards...latency about 5 ms...bough it from thomann online in germany..£295stg
    i had a hoontech dsp 24mk2 and it had latency and bangs and clicks in giga - fine for other programs like sound forge
    pd

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adrian H:

Adrian,
    Rme also makes analog outs that can be connected to Hammerfalls, and they aren\'t very expensive. See www.rme-audio.com.

On the other hand, why get a Hammerfall if you don\'t have any ADAT devices. Or do you? If you just want a couple of stereo outs, the Hammerfall add-ons should do the job for you.

Regards,
    Trond.

Cheers
    Adrian
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think RME audio\'s page is extremely vague and confusing about which versions of their cards having which connections. Like... I would like something that has ADAT, SPDIF and Analog out - is the only solution a Digi9652 and an IO board? Or is the 96/8 PST the answer? Why don\'t they just have a list: 3xADAT, 1xSPDIF In/Out etc.... I mean, how hard would it be to write that instead of those extremely vague sales-crap-talk rundowns on the cards.

I also heard the GSIF drivers are not that cool yet - so are there any alternatives to the Hammerfall cards, in about the same price league?

I thought I\'d offer an alternative to a different card, though it may be a little more expensive.

Currently we\'re running an old ISA Wavecenter card out into a Yamaha 01V digital mixer through Yamaha\'s ADAT option card. This setup works great. 8 inputs come up with their own faders.

On the original question- The Hammerfall or Digi series cards have a series of DA and AD expansion cards. Combining 2 AEB8-O cards with a Hammerfall will allow you to monitor 16 channels. There doesn\'t appear to be any way to monitor the 3rd adat port without external gear. You would have to feed the outputs from the AEB cards into a cheap line mixer or build your own.

Ultimately, the cheaper way may be to move up to the new Hammerfall DSP card and external Didiface I/O box. You get all the digital I/O, plus extremely cool sub-mixing to an analogue or digital out.

Go Back to forum