• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ashokan Farewell

Share/Bookmark

Ashokan Farewell

Hey-yo Garritanians!

Been away for quite a while working on other projects, just checking in to see how things are going. Very well, from what I can garner! I see the board has been rearranged a bit and there are many new handles.

This past spring I found time to arrange and orchestrate Jay Ungar's Ashokan Farewell for one of the orchestras I play in, with an eye towards making it part of a local 50 year city celebration. Thanks to GPO, both rehearsal and performance came off without a hitch. Thanks Gary!

I'm a little rusty, hope this link works:

Ashokan Farewell, 4:06, 7.7Mb

The theme was made famous via the PBS Ken Burns Civil War series.

As this is a very nostalgic, sentimental melody, I purposely kept the orchestration rather light and intimate:

2 fl, 1 ob, 2 cl, 1 bsn
    1 tpt, 2 hn, 1 tbn
    timp, sus cym, orch bells
    strings

Bonus nachos!

Edit - On rehearing this, I thought I should metion that I would very much have liked to have added a part for harp, but the harpist wasn't available for the target concert, so I thought it best to make sure the orchestration stood on its own merits without it. Oh well, one must learn to work with occasional limitations. Maybe next time!

Re: Ashokan Farewell

This is lovely, and- as you say- nostalgic and sentimental piece. I thouroughly enjoyed it. The orchestration is very alive and engaging. Good stuff.

In terms of the rendition, it seems to my ears like some of the velocity shifts, swells, and tonal interplay between consecutive notes are almost too perfectly in sync, and would benefit from being muddied up a bit. Sometimes a tone stops more or less abruptly, to be followed by the next in a discrete rather than flowing fashion...

... but I'm no doubt quibbling. This is very fine work. Thanks for posting it.

Hi Quasar,

"In terms of the rendition, it seems to my ears like some of the velocity shifts, swells, and tonal interplay between consecutive notes are almost too perfectly in sync, and would benefit from being muddied up a bit. Sometimes a tone stops more or less abruptly, to be followed by the next in a discrete rather than flowing fashion..."
    I'd have to agree. Initially, my goal wasn't to make the performance as "human" as possible, but to work out the arrangement and orchestration. Afterwards, I went back and programmed the scored dynamics, phrasing, and articulations to hear what they might sound like performed, but stopped short of smearing the entrances and releases. The solo oboe was given most of the expressive attention, as it's the "star" of the arrangement.

Thanks for the comments!

Superb work! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Beautiful arrangement, very well orchestrated;
    a real pleasure to listen to.

With korgsp200, I think perhaps enriching the
    reverb would add a great deal to this. At least
    to my ear, this beautifully done orchestration
    would seem more comfortable in a greater space.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum