• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do I need soundcard with MIDI to play samples

Share/Bookmark

Do I need soundcard with MIDI to play samples

I just purchased the gigasampler64 software, and am looking for a soundcard (I have SB Live Value now). Don\'t I need a sound card with MIDI input so I can play the gigasampler samples with a MIDI controller keyboard? For instance, the ECHO MIA card doesn\'t have MIDI, neither does the DELTA 44 and 66 cards.

Or, is it possible to use one of those MIDI-To-USB interface boxes and access GIGA samples that way?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-- Robert

(PS, when I run the spell checker on this note, it thinks GigaSampler should be Ginger Snap!)

Re: Do I need soundcard with MIDI to play samples

I would think you should be able to keep your SBLive card in your PC and use its MIDI port. It will coexist fine with the MIA or other cards. That\'s what I\'m doing. You only need another MIDI interface if you want more ports or if you feel the SB\'s MIDI performance is inadequate. Don\'t use a USB MIDI port. It\'s not recommended for Giga.

[This message has been edited by Doug Marshall (edited 08-17-2001).]

Doug, Thanks so much! That is exactly the information I needed. I didn\'t think of the option of keeping my SB Live **AND** having a high end audio card. I\'m already MIDI\'ing in with a 61-key synth, but I\'m just playing SB\'s pretty lame sound fonts.

I\'m so excited, looking forward to receiving my GIGA software!!

Thanks again for the expertise!

-- Robert

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Marshall:
    Don\'t use a USB MIDI port. It\'s not recommended for Giga.)]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Motu Midi TimePiece AV USB with my Mac and was planning to use a Motu Midi FastLane USB interface with Giga - I\'ve been looking at a variety of audio interfaces for Giga, starting to settle upon Hammerfall - so my question to you is, if not USB, which midi interface would you recommend for my Windows computer?

Hi Chanada33, I\'m not in a position to recommend any from personal experience (I use the MIDI port on my SBLive card) but there have been a lot of complaints among Giga users about USB devices causing problems. Check some of the recent topics and you\'ll see some user recommendations for sure. - Doug

Go Back to forum