Topic: How to generate smpt code

Unhappy How to generate smpt code

sponsored links

Hi guys

Here is a query which i would like your help on

i work on nuendo for short animation films. here is how i work

i import the .mov video file in nuendo,
    i do the music and try to sync as many places i can mix the film ,
    in the begining of the film the animators add a white mark so i add a sound to that mark so when they take wave file from me can sync the sound to the mark so that the whole music syncs.

So is there any way that i can internally genrate the smpt code for the .mov video file so that we dont have to use marks to sync the sound.

Any other professinal way coz incase i do some film work how do i work on that any idea.

can we generate smpt code for a .mov file internally

plz help me out guys

your ideas would be appreciated

Re: How to generate smpt code

For a .mov movie, you don't really need the SMPT timecode signal added to the right audio channel. It is really only needed for when you use a tape format that needs to be synched to external devices. And for that, you need to use a smtp timecode generator (harware device) like the MOTU Midi Timepiece AV controlled by something like Digital Performer. As you record the video back out to tape it will lay down the smtp time code audio signal onto the right audio track.

If you are talking about wanting just the window burn representation of the smpt timecode and adding that to the image within the .mov file, there are various programs that can do that. Apple's Final Cut Pro will do it. You need to use the timecode video filter. You just have to tell it what frame rate your movie is in, whether it is in pull-up or pull-down, what the time code of the first frame of the .mov is and it will generate a window burn with those numbers on top of every frame of picture. You then have to re-render the movie as a new .mov file with the window burn included in the picture.

You should always still use a "2-pop" at the head and tail end of your movies to ensure sound synch. Just because you have time code does not mean you should stop using those. We will do it...even on big Hollywood films. The front 2-pop will insure synch and placement. If the tail 2-pop is not in synch...you know your video has drift in its frame rate. As long as both 2-pops are in synch, you know you are fine with your sound tracks.
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Go Back to forum